Nylon screws

Robert I don't understand why you are wasting so much time trying to make the wrong rectifier regulator work .

Why on earth don't you just buy a cheap used XS650 78 rectifier & regulator and plug them in and test your charging system and wiring loom .??

650 skull has valiantly spent a huge amount of time and effort trying to diagnose this and supply you with relevant information but in the end it all boils down to whether or not you understand vehicle electrics.;)

I know I repeat myself often on this subject but it is not a question of 'do I connect this colour wire to this colour wire '
The approach should always be .....Connect the correct wire to the correct wire/s according to function

Once you have established how a rotor, stator, regulator and rectifier actually function and where their wires connect internally then you will be able to connect components up correctly.

the seller clearly doesn't know that the charging system for xs650 models 72-79 is different from the 80-84 models the combined reg/rect that is shown in the picture grounds the alternator internally whereas the 72-79 models which have seperate rectifiers and regulators have the rotor permanently grounded . The wiring for the two chargig systems are not compatable with one another

If you don't know how the aftermarket reg/rect is wired internally and the seller doesn't know either then the only choice you have is to use a multimeter to establish what is what or just keep connecting wires at random until the fuse doesn't blow anymore which is a crazy way to do things .

There must be dozens on here that would gladly send you a spare 78 xs650 reg/rect to test on your bike or see if you can find one at a local bike breaker .

Last edited:
Here is an excellent thread from the Tech Section about this whole issue which will give you a complete insight into how the pre 1980 charging syatem differs to the 1980 and later system.http://www.xs650.com/threads/nylon-screws.6477/ if you read it right through you should get a better understanding of the charging system.
The difference between 1972-1979 and 1980 -1984 is in how the regulator connects and disconnects the charging system in order for the alternator to charge the battery. Thats it .....once you understand how the two different regulators work then you'll understand everything.

On pre 1980 points ignition bikes the regulator connects and disconnects the ground of the alternator, completing the circuit so that the battery receives a charge when required
On 1980 and later TCI bikes the regulator connects and disconnects the 12v+ feed to the alternator to achieve the same result

Here is an excellent thread from the Tech Section about this whole issue which will give you a complete insight into how the pre 1980 charging syatem differs to the 1980 and later system.http://www.xs650.com/threads/nylon-screws.6477/ if you read it right through you should get a better understanding of the charging system.
The difference between 1972-1979 and 1980 -1984 is in how the regulator connects and disconnects the charging system in order for the alternator to charge the battery. Thats it .....once you understand how the two different regulators work then you'll understand everything.

On pre 1980 points ignition bikes the regulator connects and disconnects the ground of the alternator, completing the circuit so that the battery receives a charge when required
On 1980 and later TCI bikes the regulator connects and disconnects the 12v+ feed to the alternator to achieve the same result
Thanks for the insight. I'm just wondering why my system won't work with the nylon screws. 650skull said It should work if I put the 80's reg/rec to my old stator/rotor assembly with the nylon screws. And it doesnt. Even when following the wire diagram. So do I just fix this problem buy spending more money on a different reg/rec or do I figure out why my system isent working with the parts I have now? Don't really want to spend more money on a reg/rec and have it not work. Thanks for the help though, I really do appreciate this whole forum and the people that reach out.

appreciate your dilemma. I hate wasting money too especially now I am on a pension.
The Celux regulator you are using is intended for a 1980 -84 xs650 and therefore won't work with a 1978-79 bike unless the Celux is wired up correctly to your wiring loom and both your stator brushes are insulated with nylon screws.

Just because your bike has a green wire and the Celux reg Rect also has a green wire doesn't mean they should be connected together. Early vehicle wiring used green wires for ground or earth wires whereas later vehicles and components use black wires for ground . Without know exactly how your Celux is wired up internally or having a schematic its impossible for us to know how you should connect it to your wiring loom

The problem is that I believe you said your wiring loom had been hacked ? so none of us can be certain how everything is connected up now .

I would recommend you dump the Celux Reg /Rect and buy a used stock reg rectifier which will just plug straight in and work.
If you don't have a clear understanding and appreciation of exactly how the charging system works and can read a wiring diagram and use a multimeter to troubleshoot you are likely to just waste more weeks when you could be riding the bike.

Last edited:
appreciate your dilemma. I hate wasting money too especially now I am on a pension.
The Celux regulator you are using is intended for a 1980 -84 xs650 and therefore won't work with a 1978-79 bike unless the Celux is wired up correctly to your wiring loom and both your stator brushes are insulated with nylon screws.

Just because your bike has a green wire and the Celux reg Rect also has a green wire doesn't mean they should be connected together. Early vehicle wiring used green wires for ground or earth wires whereas later vehicles and components use black wires for ground . Without know exactly how your Celux is wired up internally or having a schematic its impossible for us to know how you should connect it to your wiring loom

The problem is that I believe you said your wiring loom had been hacked ? so none of us can be certain how everything is connected up now .

I would recommend you dump the Celux Reg /Rect and buy a used stock reg rectifier which will just plug straight in and work.
If you don't have a clear understanding and appreciation of exactly how the charging system works and can read a wiring diagram and use a multimeter to troubleshoot you are likely to just waste more weeks when you could be riding the bike.
Yea I've contacted the company and asked for a wiring diagram. If anything probably just spend a little more money on a used reg/rec for the correct year. Thanks again.

Got me, i don't know what else i can do. I have gone through this as much for me as for yourself.........Posted links to the information on "How To" do this with the components you have.

I don't think you have given all of the relevant information regarding your bike, its history, modifications/changes to wiring, or other things. I'm not an electrical diagnostic so can't help any more than what i have.

One thing.......this is not a dummy spit..........I won't be posting in regional threads to help solve issues any more. This is because the information gets lost and should be in a Garage thread............I suggest, (as i have previously said), post problems to the garage. Get more people who will offer opinions/help from there.

Back