NZ Special

SCARE

Scareous XS650
Reaction score
I just picked up my new project, this Yamaha XS650 Special.

144485z.jpg

1247lhi.jpg

Plan is to get it going first, then road-legal, then have a think, probably ratty brat kind of street bike.

20747r4.jpg

1190y0k.jpg

263j6gp.jpg

1zcpj80

2napapz.jpg

Here is my old Yamaha Virago XV250:

6840339613_939d5417e8_b.jpg

And my current Yamaha TW200:

7161413459_3d70d47ec4_k.jpg

I picked up a pair of (all but) brand new Kenda Cruiser S/T tyres for cheeeap!

100/90x19 for the front, and 130/90x16 for the rear.

33234ld.jpg

I've been flat out with work lately, but I did manage to strip down, paint, and rebuild my little 1970's Tru Test mini bike.

1z1eijb.jpg

I made a start stripping down the XS.
Disconnected all the rear lights, removed some of the excess junk, (and added a spare tank I had lying around).

23uc41c.jpg

BS34 with foam floats most likely. Read the carb guide in the tech section don't be in too much of a hurry to buy carb kits, they usually have parts you don't need and don't have parts you do need.. Things to check on any carbs this old are throttle shaft seals, diaphragms and the spigots.

Started cleaning the wheels on the weekend.

zsshu.jpg

So if I paint strip them, could I then get them powdercoated clear? Or leave as is?

Just don't drill them fulla holes or they will whistle at ya.
Stock coating is tough but they do look good polished if you have the inclination/time

No drilling no!

On further reading on the forum this morn, I'm going to simply clean em, polish up what I can, and leave them.. no need for a strip or clear coat. Saves time and money too.

looks about the same cond.as the last 2 I bought,does it turn over,how much did you pick it up for, just curious being a ex-pat kiwi,take your time with the carbs & check the manifolds,any leaks & it will lean up & burn a hole in the piston,then the igntion good luck Steve B

looks about the same cond.as the last 2 I bought,does it turn over,how much did you pick it up for, just curious being a ex-pat kiwi,take your time with the carbs & check the manifolds,any leaks & it will lean up & burn a hole in the piston,then the igntion good luck Steve B

Yeah it's not that bad. Turns over. Apparently will run. I will give the motor a going over though, and the carbs.
I picked it up for NZ$700, which to me is a bargain. I have been waiting to buy one for the past few years. Finally hussled this one, randomly off a guy I was buying a camera off. Managed to keep it off the auction sites, after negotiating with the dude. Stoked.

So.. this came up and I couldn't help myself.
1980 XS650 Special. Roadworthy even!
Pretty stoked, now I can take my time with the other build.

z1qug.jpg

Back