O-ring for vacuum petcock sealing to tank

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Mike's rubber o-ring #20-0021 for tank to petcock sealing will also fit the stock vacuum petcock fine. It's advertised on the site as a replacement for the o-ring on the vacuum petcock replacement manual petcock. It's only $2.20. It's been suggested to use cork to make a gasket for it, but I'm wary of little cork particles coming lose from the gasket and doing satan's work.

Years ago, I got Napa's o-ring splicing kit SPC-1, p/n 770-1011. It comes with a variety of o-ring spaghetti, razor blade, super-glue, and a jig. You cut to length, diagonal cuts on the ends, apply a tiny dollip of glue to an end, fit into the jig (like those old recording tape jigs), let it cure (about a minute).

I prefer to use that 'gorilla grip' super-glue with rubber additives.

Been using it successfully, for years, for a variety of hard-to-find sizes, including the XS1B petcocks. 5 years, no leaks...

I just use an o-ring, no need to get one from mikes. I kinda like that the oring is a bit thicker. First time on kinda push the ring in the groove it often wants to come back out, no problem, just start snugging the bolts, then finish pushing the o-ring into the groove with a wire or small screwdriver it pops right in place and stays there.

I just use an o-ring, no need to get one from mikes.

I would rather pay the $2 than shop for an o-ring. The nearest hardware store only carries faucet washers, and then it turns into shopping. $2.20 isn't expensive compared to spending the day in all the hardware stores in a 30 mile radius and possibly still not getting satisfaction. Plug and play. #20-0021 is also an o-ring btw, not a racetrack-shaped ring.

Guess I should buy a stack of o rings and sell them for $2.66 mailed to your door? That $2.20 oring gets a bit pricey once you add his minimum and shipping.....

My metric O-ring box assortment had the right size, no running needed.

ATD-3601-2.jpg

$15.00 on line, the assortment is Ok but lot's of o-rings are non standard so often as not it doesn't have what you really need.

That $2.20 oring gets a bit pricey once you add his minimum and shipping.....

I keep a running list of things I need to get from him or a dealer and hold out till enough is enough. This time I needed cam end seals, shift shaft seal, fork leg bolt, 80+ side cover retention grommet, and so on. I seem to order about $60 from him every year or two. Same amount from a dealer every two or three years. The last dealer order included new gauge gaskets so I have to worry less about broken needles... They also prevent the needle from swinging, which is better on your eyes :)

If I can get to my micrometer I'll try to measure this ring to make it easier to buy locally.

Back