O-ring identification help.

perkinja

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a complete Vesrah gasket kit (VG-282 for xs650) and ive got the engine pretty much in pieces. My question is, what are these small o-rings for? i know the orange are for piston, and the four black are for the valve covers, 2 are for the breaker plates, but the rest of these, i never saw them when i took the bike apart :shrug:

Attachments

• 20150406_230550.jpg
    20150406_230550.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 250
Yeah, this gets asked here a lot. Someone made a list, but I can't find it. It would be nice if an o-ring chart came with the gasket set.

Often overlooked are the 4 o-rings for the rocker shaft cover screws, and the 4 o-rings for the studsleeves behind those. Depending on your tensioner system, an o-ring may or may not be fitted for the big nut/cover. One that I've never seen in a kit is for the oil gallery interconnect between case halves, near the clutch pushrod oil seal.

i havnt taken my valves off to clean them yet so that makes sense, those three off to the right are making me scratch my head. the far left is for the tensioner and the middle are for the valves but those other three :shrug:

Quick edit: those 4*** off to the right.

I thought a list was included with the set but maybe not. I found one online and took the liberty of labeling the various o-rings, also updating part numbers if needed .....

The smallest o-rings are for the valve guides. Most of the time you don't use them because the guides aren't removed/replaced.

Yes, you pull and clean the valves, lap them back in too. That's not what I'm talking about. The valve guides are what the valves fit into. They're press-fitted into the head. Nobody removes them unless they're worn out and in need of replacement. It's usually beyond the scope of most home mechanics anyway. It's something most would pay to have done at a shop.

Back