odd request recommendations for big mouse ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The left mouse switch has finally expired on my 7x year old Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 mouse and I've been using it like that for a couple of weeks now.

I cannot find another big mouse for large hands and the new bluetooth explorer is tiny.

This is the size of the problem below. if anyone has any mouse recommendations I'd be very grateful as my hand is practically going into spasm with this mouse and its the largest I know of. If anyone has an unwanted spare Explorer 4.0 for sale theres a good home waiting for it.

DSCF9479.jpg

DSCF9478.jpg

DSCF9477.jpg

hi i use a logitech wireless mouse,,, they are fairly inexpensive,,,, and easy to use,,, before i used old wire set ups ,,,now both my keyboard and mouse are wireless,,,keyboard is K260 logitech and the wireless mouse mouse they both came in the same box easy to use worth a look regards oldbiker

hi i use a logitech wireless mouse,,, they are fairly inexpensive,,,, and easy to use,,, before i used old wire set ups ,,,now both my keyboard and mouse are wireless,,,keyboard is K260 logitech and the wireless mouse mouse they both came in the same box easy to use worth a look regards oldbiker

that really is a beautiful mouse /keyboard combo oldbiker but I'm not sure how it addresses my problem.? That Logitec mouse is tiny ??:confused:

thanks sinking78 I also came up with that mouse from a google search .

I ordered one up from Amazon and when it came it wasn't large at all ? it was about the same size as the Intellimouse Explorer and you can see how that fits my hands !:doh:

I think some manufacturers have no idea of large sizes at all. I order size XXL everything but often the sweats and T shirts come with a tiny size 15" neck ( mine is 18" ) and I have arms like an urangutan.

Its a curse being big , my hands won't fit any modern power tools or wood saws or scissors

I've fixed a couple of them where the button wore out. Undo the screw in the bottom and take it apart. Get some CRC spray electronics cleaner at your parts store. Soak the switch while pushing the button up and down. You might be able to blast some crud out of it. Soak it good, directing at anything that could be an opening in the switch.

If that doesn't work take a soldering iron and carefully reshape the plastic pusher thing that pushes the button. You need to add about 1mm length back to it. I gave my old favorite mouse several years of new lifetimes like that.

I think it needs a new switch to be honest. I've hammered and banged the thing mercilessly over the years. its had a hard life.

I thought about swopping one of the unused side switches in to replace the faulty switch but its dammed fiddly.

Might try tomorrow . If I don't get a working mouse soon I'm going to lob this laptop down the back yard.:banghead:

^After you get to the button on the circuit board, just push it with your fingernail to see if the problem is the button itself or not. But, very important here, I know the plastic prong that pushes the button wears out before the button itself. And the prong is easily fixed. But if it is the button, spray cleaner works miracles.

My mouse is in my saddlebag under my motorcycle cover which has an inch of ice on it. If I were to try to get it out I think the cover would actually break and be ruined :)

Peanut, have you tried the Logitech Marble Mouse? Takes a little getting used to but much larger and ergonimically correct.

71SUe9nkS5L._SL1500_.jpg

$22.50 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000806-Trackman-Marble-Mouse/dp/B001F42MKG

Left clicks are done with the thumb and all movement is done with the track ball.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/trackman-marble

Dimensions:

Trackball Size: 1.5"
Trackball color: Red
Trackball encoding: Optical
Case color: Charcoal/Silver
Hand orientation: Ambidextrous
Buttons: 4 (programmable)
Scrolling hardware: none
Interface type: Cable
Interfaces included: PS/2 and USB
Platforms supported: PC and Macintosh
System requirements: Available PS/2 mouse port or USB port
Operating systems: PC: Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7

Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.3.9 and later
Direct plug in mouse emulation? Yes, as Microsoft or Macintosh USB mouse
Software included? Yes. Logitech MouseWareâ„¢.
Footprint: 3.8" (96 mm) wide x 6.25" (160 mm) deep
Maximum height: 2.0" (51 mm) at crest of ball height
Manufacturer's warranty: 3 years

Peanut, have you tried the Logitech Marble Mouse? Takes a little getting used to but much larger and ergonimically correct.

actually I did try that very mouse once . My boss used one and to be honest I hated it.
I found it extremely slow moving the ball compared to moving the whole mouse.
My boss loved it but I used to plug in a normal mouse when I had to work on his pc.

Thaanks for the suggestion, they certainly are comfortable no doubt about that.:thumbsup:

^After you get to the button on the circuit board, just push it with your fingernail to see if the problem is the button itself or not. But, very important here, I know the plastic prong that pushes the button wears out before the button itself. And the prong is easily fixed. But if it is the button, spray cleaner works miracles.

My mouse is in my saddlebag under my motorcycle cover which has an inch of ice on it. If I were to try to get it out I think the cover would actually break and be ruined :)

I won't ask why your mouse is out in the cold saddlebag :confused: has it been naughty ?:D

I think you might be right about the plastic prong actually, becaue I have thumped that button a bit over the years. I'll take it to bits tonight and see if I can glue a bit on the bottom of the prong.Thanks for the suggestion .:thumbsup:

^After you get to the button on the circuit board, just push it with your fingernail to see if the problem is the button itself or not. :)

xjwmx you are a star ! your interest in this has fired me up and got me off my butt at last.

I took my mouse apart yesterday and replaced the faulty button switch with one of the redundant switches inside the mouse ....

it lives !..

I now have a working mouse after weeks of frustration and cursing . thank you mate I owe you a drink :thumbsup:

Woah! whats all this ??? cat fur .... no wonder the scroll wheel never worked .:D

Attachments

• intellimouse switch replacment 2.jpg
    intellimouse switch replacment 2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 94
  • intellimouse switch replacment 3.JPG
    intellimouse switch replacment 3.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 70
I noticed your button repair video just now and I was thinking, uh oh, I would have set the good button way off somewhere so they wouldn't be confused. Then when they got confused I thought I could tell him which was which just from reviewing the video. Finally I thought he could have just looked at his own video to see which was which :) Good work anyway, in a round about way.

:D:D I know ..:doh: classic dumb move eh ! Funnily enough I didn't think to look through the video

Thats the trouble when you're trying to make a video at the same time and not sound like a complete dork doing it.

I also managed to burn the table and my Levi's with soldering the iron lol:laugh:

Back