OEM tool kit question

cecil_t

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My '77 didn't come with a tool kit. I assume it would go in the pocket behind the battery on the left side. Was there a retention strap for the tool kit? I have two little hooks near that cubby but I can't tell if they secure a strap or if they were for wire management.

I just got a CruzTools Speedkit and it fits nicely, just wondering about the retention strap.

You know, the more I study that drawing, it has me wondering. #24 is a rather large o-ring (3 x 39.5). Maybe it stretches across the tool box opening and acts like a strap? My '78 had nothing but if it was just an o-ring, I'm sure it is long gone, rotted away now after 30+ years.

You know, the more I study that drawing, it has me wondering. #24 is a rather large o-ring (3 x 39.5). Maybe it stretches across the tool box opening and acts like a strap? My '78 had nothing but if it was just an o-ring, I'm sure it is long gone, rotted away now after 30+ years.
Also a good theory. Search for part number of #24 turns up a number of results saying "side cover tool" and this:
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=221576048192&alt=web

I have come across at least a couple of XS650s that had the tool box retention o-ring in place. I always just though they were just a clever owner idea, but now I realize they are a Yamaha idea.
It does call into question the foam block -- It makes sense as a dampener (which is what they call it), but then why didn't they put one on the other side?

I'd like to see this thing "in action". Someone snap a pic if they ever run across one. I may try installing one on mine. Not the $4 Yamaha one of course, just something close in size. The 3mm x 39.5mm size converts pretty close to a 1/8" x 1.5" American size.

I'd like to see this thing "in action". Someone snap a pic if they ever run across one. I may try installing one on mine. Not the $4 Yamaha one of course, just something close in size. The 3mm x 39.5mm size converts pretty close to a 1/8" x 1.5" American size.

That is interesting. I had never noticed the form damper or the O ring on the Yamaha drawing. There are the 2 little brackets on each side of the tool pouch storage area. I always thought that something was meant to be used on those 2 brackets, but I never knew what.

I've been using just a piece of wire, which works OK. I think I'll look in my spare O rings box and see if I can find one suitable.

Amazing.....................there's always something new to be learned about these bikes.

Yes, the ones on mine are quite large. I thought they were hose or wire guides of some sort .....

Electrics-Left.jpg

It's the metric one, SKJAS. The spark plug tool isn't the right size but that's easy to swap out. Quality stuff, I have a few of them on various bikes.

ill be damned!! Next thing we will learn is there is a monte cristo from the factory wedged in some where!!
Side note: I have a 2003 suzi marauder, but the 97-98 had a tool kit right behind the rear cylinder, and it would get hot. On a rally, a guy shoved a frozen burrito in there. Its now called the burrito cooker! Hand to god, no lie.
xstra, that's for a early bike. The tool kit sat in a tray behind the battery.

Last edited:
XSTRA , that rubber strap is used for the early bikes. I have that strap on my XS2

Those look like the genuine tools but you may be missing a few items, pliers for one thing. There was also usually a 27mm wrench for the rear axle nut and a 12mm open end of some sort.

What are the feeler gauges on the small wrench for? I measured them out on my '77 tool kit and got .003, .005 and .007mm ..... If i measured correctly......but didn't mic the stiffer cover. '77's been converted to TCI.

Back