OEM tool kit question

I cut up an old bicycle tire, not a fat one, and use it for very durable rubber bands. Two around my tool kit, and two across the hooks. Been working for 8-10 years now.
Whynot2

Took awhile to dig this up, 1972 XS2 Toolkit:

1972-XS2-Toolkit.jpg

Can someone post a 1976 XS650 OEM tool kit.

Good thread...would have never guessed the " O-ring" was an actual design!

#5 in the pic -- once in a pawn shop I saw an identical wrench but instead of saying Yamaha it said Mercedes. Should have bought it! Also, mine is 14 on one end instead of 13 in the pic. It might be a misprint in the pic.

Well, you learn something everyday!

My '75 B-model that I bought only slightly used in about May of 1979 and my '75 C-model that I bought in Feb of 2016 both had/have the factory toolkit but neither bike had an o-ring across the mouth of the little compartment. I recall seeing the two little hooks there and always assumed they were for a flat rubber strap with metal rings on the ends - like a smaller version of the battery hold down strap. Neither bike had any evidence of a block of foam glued to the inside of the LH side-cover.

I guess I've never looked at the parts fiche exploded view for this part of the bike before.

Very interesting.

MaxPette,

I saw the O-ring in the parts catalog but couldn't figure where it went to. I too would have expected a small strap. I believe it must have been an oversight and someone just said, "Stick an Oring so the pouch doesn't fall out"

Any chance, on one of those cold days up North when you have nothing better to do......snap a photo of the '75 C Factory Tool Kit. Would love to see it.

Hi Zip - I don't have the '75 any longer but I do have the '76 C (I guess that is what you meant - not trying to be snotty :rolleyes:) and I'll lay it out on the freezer lid and post a photo later today or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
I always wondered what that foam block was on the inside of the side cover!

eBay Tool Kit just arrived..... hope it is close to what it is suppose to be for 1976 XS650C
What didn't photograph:
1. Points wrench actually has four (4) feeler gauges. One is double stacked. 02; 035; 015; blank = no number embossed
2. The Yamaha bag also has a feeler gauge on the opposite side in a special pouch - 005mm
3. The long spark plug wrench fits the engine spark plug 21mm.
4. The short spark plug wrench also fits spark plug, looks and feels like an add on. HAs two (2): 21mm X 19mm
5. Missing rubber plastic piece for screw driver handle.
6. How many allen (HEX) wrenches are suppose to be there? 6mm and 5mm

MaxPete: Not snotty at all! Actually #30 thread says 75B and 75C -- I thought your 75C was an Ultra Rare bike:)

IMG_5637.jpeg

Yes, that is the foam block. Just checked one. Actually pretty soft foam. Approx. L - 2 1/8" X W - 1 1/2" X D - 1 3/8"

eBay Tool Kit just arrived..... hope it is close to what it is suppose to be for 1976 XS650C
What didn't photograph:
1. Points wrench actually has four (4) feeler gauges. One is double stacked. 02; 035; 015; blank = no number embossed
2. The Yamaha bag also has a feeler gauge on the opposite side in a special pouch - 005mm
3. The long spark plug wrench fits the engine spark plug 21mm.
4. The short spark plug wrench also fits spark plug, looks and feels like an add on. HAs two (2): 21mm X 19mm
5. Missing rubber plastic piece for screw driver handle.
6. How many allen (HEX) wrenches are suppose to be there? 6mm and 5mm

MaxPete: Not snotty at all! Actually #30 thread says 75B and 75C -- I thought your 75C was an Ultra Rare bike:)

View attachment 96152

Yup - it looks just like that actually. Sorry I haven't posted the photo yet - life has intruded (I'll try to do it tonight when I get home from the ding-danged office!).

Interesting about that foam block thingy - I have owned two of these bikes (including the '75 when it was only a couple of years old back in the '70s) and I have never seen anything like that in either of them.

Hmmmmm.

P

Last edited:
Pete,
No rush......I remember the days at the office.....came home like a zombie with a fried brain. Now retired have alot of free time.

Think we did a good job on the topic of tools.....orings, side covered block, and tool contents. Future readers will find some good facts.

This was a neat read. I didn't know a lot of this.

Mine never had the kit, I made my own from a waxed canvas tool roll and tools that I picked, but I'm far from striving from originality. Besides the original toolkit location is taken up by my ignition these days.

Back