Of carbs and coils

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
'77 running bs 34's and TCI ignition.....
After pulling and cleaning and cleaning and swapping bits and pieces between a set of rebuilt '80 brass float 34's and a set of '81 plastic float 17k miles 34's and still not getting the right side to fire consistently I swapped plug wires.
Yep, problem now went to the left side.
A set of NGK resistor caps, about 3/8ths inch trim on the end of the plug wire and a new set of Autolite 63's has put things all back in order.......for now........

Yes, bad cap/coil connections or a bad cap do happen occasionally. I've never had an NGK cap go bad but have had them come loose or the connection go bad. When I install plug wires now, I like to prep the ends like so before screwing the cap on or the wire into the coil. A little dielectric grease on the wire end too .....

PlugWireEnd.jpg

I've had no plug wire/cap problems since implementing this install method.

What coil are you using? I see in your signature it says upgraded, but is it enough to benefit the use of resistor plug and caps. Could too much resistance be a cause of inconsistent firing?

Measure the resistance through those old caps and you might find the one from the bad side was crapping out. Stock was something oddball like 9K ohms. When they go bad, the resistance climbs. Eventually, when it gets too high, you start having firing problems. And they do go bad.

Back