Off to super chevy weekend

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
OK out of here today and going to SUPER CHEVY in PA at Maple Grove.
Need some parts for my NOVA and my buddies Vega and got some motors to get rid of for the right price. I have been putting my Nova on the back burner but now its getting time to get it together and do it up right. There is a guy who comes every year with complete ass ends tubbed so I am on the hunt for him.
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND be back in NJ on MONDAY MAYBE!!!!:D

What year nova? I had a clapped out 74. Originally had a six. po put a 350 with a m22, stock rear end.
All the windows leaked, I had to bump start it, and pump the brakes afew times to get the front rite working so I wouldn't get thrown in the ditch. Had air shock, 2" hijackers, beat up ansens, many layers of black krylon. The hatch back leaked, the spare tire well was literally swiss cheese.
A week after I sold it, the gas tank fell out, The edel carb shit the bed, and the steering box stripped out. What a piece of crap. The m22 was worth more than the whole car, but it taught me how to work on my own cars, many moons ago.
c-ya Monday!!

I also had a '74 hatchback. Had a lot of rust. Had been sitting outside in Florida weather for a while when I got it in '90. My old man and my Uncle filled in the rust holes and had it re-sprayed. Had a rebuilt 350 with some minor parts store mods. Turned a lot of heads and probably got me laid for the first time.

Learned how to bracket race in that car. Wasn't the fastest but it was consistent. Won my class once and got runner up once. Almost made it to regional races but got beat by a Camaro with a delay box that was three second faster in the quarter mile.

Good times.

I am back!!!
My Nova is a 1971 and need tons of work but that's how I like it build what you want...
My body is good and my floor is good. I have been buying up parts and since I close my garage it has been sitting under a cover at a friends house. I have to put new front end on before I can move it. Going with disk brakes all around Tubbed in rear and big block with auto trans. I have the motor trans and rear already and that was a bunch of money. Not going to say how big motor is because its going to be used as a street car for shows and a bracket car for grudge races. All I can say is its big and sucks on a bottle
Super chevy was cool but too hot no rain and vendor were not all there. They didn't even have a chevy dealership . So it was just a good weekend with the BUDS....
Me and a buddy own 4 cars this Nova is the last for us. We have a 80 MALIUBA small block 406 1970 NOVA small block 406 VEGA Pro Street Small block 406 and this one.
I started out racing cars on the streets of Philly and switched to bikes and had my TF licence for bikes for years and raced NMRA- DRAGBIKE-IDBA- PRO STAR for years so I got the bug BUT now old mother nature made ME OLD HAHA.
Going to be at ATCO RACEWAY on this Friday testing the newest BUSA that we did.
I MISS MY BIG GARAGE BUT needed to down size. Looking for garage here in TOMS RIVER

Attachments

• 2014-06-08 13.21.46.jpg
    2014-06-08 13.21.46.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 116
  • 2014-11-13 09.22.33.jpg
    2014-11-13 09.22.33.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 2015-03-18 10.44.53.jpg
    2015-03-18 10.44.53.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 129
  • th_drag1.jpg
    th_drag1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 112
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 2013-07-19 15.25.42.jpg
    2013-07-19 15.25.42.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
That vega's bad ass. The way the rear wheel well is stock makes it look altered. Straight axle gasser in the cards for it? Full flip nose?

I think more than a couple of us here have done the "Vega" thing.
Might as well stick mine in here, too.
327 SBC, 2.56 posi, air conditioning, 4 computers, sound system, 32 mpg hwy.

73Vega03.jpg 73Vega05.jpg

Cool car...... My partner is a Bill Grumpy JENKINS fan and he always wanted to build two cars a box 64/65 MALIBUI and a VEGA. We built the 65 and took it to shows and of course someone came up with the figure we could not walk away from so it was sold. This Vega is a former race car and went low 8's in 1/4 mile. Was a lot and still playing with it to make it a street car. We took off the wheelie bars but they may have to go back on and it has had three motors in it because of over heating problems on the street. Now the motor in it is coming out and we are dropping compression and horse power to just make it a fun car to take to shows. Right now its a 406 with 600+ hp just on motor and a plate for the bottle but never used it. 4 speed trans and 430 gears with four link. Full roll cage and its a bad ass car but too much for just driving to shows so the 406 is coming out and a 383 is going back in with lower compression and the plate for the bottle and it will come in around 450 hp. We both started out with cars and both of us went to bikes and raced for years. Me I have owned 1967/69/70 SS Chevelle 4 55 chevys 2 corvettes 340 Duster 67 RT 440 and so many other cars that I raced on the streets of Philly but that wasn't fast enough for me and I went to bikes and ran Stock Super Gas Pro Comp and finally lost my mind and ran TF HARLEY but I never went over 200 mph in 1/4 and now too old to handle those monsters. I ran 196 mph on track and was clocked at 197 mph on Atlantic City Expressway testing a turbo bike at 2 am and got caught by the state police after they ran me down at toll booth . So I can say I did\ my BUCKET LIST EARLY HAHA
Pic here of my younger years this was a 8:90 Class Bike

Attachments

• IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 147
... This Vega is a former race car and went low 8's in 1/4 mile.
...and it has had three motors in it because of over heating problems on the street...
...so the 406 is coming out and a 383 is going back in with lower compression ...

That is terrifyingly fast!

Yeah, heat is a big problem on these. Installed big/wide 2-core radiator, flex-fan, it helped a bit.

Turns out that the low firewall and high front end on these scoops/traps air, which pressurizes the engine bay, can't pull enuff air thru radiator. Tight clearances around firewall/bell-housing don't help either.

Found that the real solution was the air dam and spats.

They also seriously help high-speed handling. Instead if the front-end trying to lift and fly, the whole chassis grunts down and stays planted.

... So I can say I did\ my BUCKET LIST EARLY HAHA
Pic here of my younger years this was a 8:90 Class Bike

Haha, ohboy, I could never ride in shorts!

Oh, yeah, that's quite a set of BUCKET-LIST accomplishments...

I have a high dollar fan and rad in the vega and it stays at 190 until that sucker warms up good on a run and goes to 230 in a blink. I had electric fan on it with electric water pump then changed to high volume water pump off motor but that took away room so I have now two electric fans but just got too much horse power and compression. I am lining up the motors on engine stands in the corner of the garage but I do have a nice low compression 383 that was in another nova we had and it was a good runner with no heat problems. I would like to just stick a 350 with a cam in it and call it a day but I have had some knuckleheads call us out to race and my partner just stands that sucker up on the back wheels and people back down. We never ran it so we don't even know if it would go straight HAHA. I crashed one on the street in the 80's on top end so my ass not getting in it. Bikes I am crazy cars crumble around you....:wtf:

Back