Off to the DMV in the morning...

Alex Wagers

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a year and 2 months since purchasing my 1980 XS650 I can proudly say I’m going to the DMV tomorrow to hopefully get a tag for this ole girl. The previous owner had it on the road and registered but for some reason in NC they require another inspection of the bike after the title changes hands. The electrical system was out when I bought the bike and it needed a lot of the old harness cleaned up. I made a new simple harness Headlight has simple 3 way switch ( hi/ off/ low ) turn signals, brake/ taillight. The voltmeter mounted in center of handlebar pad with toggle for on/ off. Tested today and I’m getting 14 volts at 3/4 throttle going down the road. Plan on changing the rear taillight bulb back to 23w instead of 25 that’s in it now. If it wasn’t for this awesome forum and a few dedicated members my bike would still be in my shop half took apart. I’ll post some before and after pictures. Still have a lot to do but hopefully after tomorrow I’ll be able to cruise down the road... legally. Thanks again guys

Attachments

• CC0B1CD4-1200-4962-982B-F23AAE136CD3.jpeg
    CC0B1CD4-1200-4962-982B-F23AAE136CD3.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 201
  • A25CED3A-7886-4DC6-A162-8A1A8DFD5F2F.jpeg
    A25CED3A-7886-4DC6-A162-8A1A8DFD5F2F.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 974342DA-FA92-44C5-A0CB-D4C3A5FEFE81.png
    974342DA-FA92-44C5-A0CB-D4C3A5FEFE81.png
    929.3 KB · Views: 212
Good lookin' bike. And done just in time for ridin' season...:)

Thank you GodJockey I found the seat on eBay but made my own mounts. Whenever I got the bike the back of the seat loop wasn’t finished up. I was planing on getting a counter balance seat but couldnt save up that much $ when I was having to pay for other parts. I decided on finishing up the tail section with some scrap metal and mounting a tailight from low brow customs for now. In the future I might change my mind and go with a little longer seat but for now I’m going to run this setup

Looks nice Alex - well done! Enjoy your snazz new ride and go safely!

Pete

Next step is doing something with the front fender and servicing the forks. Can’t stand a leaking fork seal. I like the fork boots on your bike spectra I’ll probably be looking into finding some soon as well as new brake rotors. What brand brake rotors are good to run?

Last edited:
Next step is doing something with the front fender and servicing the forks. Can’t stand a leaking fork seal. I like the fork boots on your bike spectra I’ll probably be looking into finding some soon as well.

Thanks and that's the wifes 400.................I cant find a good 650................

There's nothing wrong with the original brake rotors, just drill some holes in them .....

60YSMk2.jpg

That money would be much better spent on something more needful, like new rear shocks. Yours look original?

I use truck shock gaiters on mine. In my opinion, they're the best, cheapest (less than $10 a pair), and longest lasting option out there. Yes, you need a fender and/or fork brace. That single disc puts lots of twisting forces on the forks when you use it.

My original rotors are extremely worn 5twins. If they were to be resurfaced I’m afraid to much would have to be removed in order to be smooth again. I feel like my best option is to replace. I was planning on just cleaning them up until I rubbed my fingers across and felt how rough and wavy they were. On the other hand, she passed inspection today!

Last edited:
I rode from Charlotte out to Monroe for that same inspection. I applied for a title and registered the bike, but received the letter that stated I needed to show up for the inspection or they would "reject" my application for a new title. What the hell does that mean? And does that mean the title I left at the DMV is lost? Needless to say I rode out there with the bike " a little less" than 100% done, but fun it was....

A few years ago I lived outside Charlotte . When registering my old bikes I had to go to a special DMV office. A state trooper was there three days a week for two hours. He would check the numbers and ask if it was stock. Each time I told them it was stock , when in fact they were hard-tailed Triumphs. After the first time when he asked " this is all stock, right?" and I said "yes it is". I could not believe it but it worked.
tim

Oh well, at some point in history, all Triumphs were hard-tails, I'd guess....

You are right Max but these were all out chopper/bobbers . I then realized the State Trooper was was not proficient in making motorcycle identification. I loved that guy. lol
tim

I had to go to the DMV in Aberdeen, NC timbeck. The “ inspector “ took a picture of the vin/ engine number asked if it was stock and said that was it.

Your right I forgot about the photos . I had to go to the DMV in Concord. Thinking that the any of the bikes may not pass or a "different" inspector would show up, I would trailer the bikes there , but this old Yankee was lucky.
tim.

Back