Oh Canada

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today..... on TV, I saw lines around the block to buy weed legally in Canada.

Damnit Pete... I'm commin' over. :D

ocanada_01_flat-h_2016.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.....where do I start......

While it may seem wonderful, there appear to be a few issues that Trudeau-the-Younger and his merry band haven’t sorted out or even thought through properly.

Close to my heart as a biker is that they haven’t got a good plan for detecting, testing for and policing pot-impaired driving (except that they’re against it, I suppose) and the cost of govt weed is reportedly much higher than the grey market variety - soooo....how will legalization help to reduce criminal drug activity? There is also a silly patch-work of differing laws across Canada’s 10 provinces and three territories (does that sound familiar US friends?).

As a person who lives on the Canada-US border and has many friends who cross for work everyday, OUR govt doesn’t seem to have worked with YOUR govt about how to deal with legalized cannabis in The Great White North.
They tell us:
  • Don’t ever lie to a US border official;
  • BUT - don’t ever admit to having used it, having it in your home or even investing (even through an arms length mutual fund) in a cannabis-related business.
Soooo....what the heck do we do in the face of a stupid lack of planning and forethought on issues that any mature adult saw coming when this policy change was first announced several years ago. Canada really is a pretty cool country with sensible policies on nearly every big issue (IMO) - but I’m sure so sure about this one.

I’m stickin’ to BEvErages for now.

PS - c’mon over anytime Jim! You’re always welcome in my home.

Last edited:
It’s funny , here in the states, there are nine individual states that have legalized recreational marijuana use, and many others that have legalized medicinal marijuana, Arizona being one of them.
Pete is right about several things. Legal pot is more expensive than black market pot, so it hasn’t diminished the black market.
Not only that but while individual states have legalized pot, it is still against the law on a federal level. The feds basically look the other way in states that have legalized pot WITH ONE GLARING EXCEPTION!
Because it is illegal as far as the feds are concerned and the banks are federally regulated, that means that the marijuana vendors cannot park their money in banks.
They literally pile it up in wharehouses and have a bunch of guys with assault rifles guarding these piles of cash. ( I saw this on a news program).

Hmmmmm.....where do I start...…
While it may seem wonderful, there appear to be a few issues that Trudeau-the-Younger and his merry band haven’t sorted out or even thought through properly.
Close to my heart as a biker is that they haven’t got a good plan for detecting, testing for and policing pot-impaired driving (except that they’re against it, I suppose) and the cost of govt weed is reportedly much higher than the grey market variety - soooo....how will legalization help to reduce criminal drug activity? There is also a silly patch-work of differing laws across Canada’s 10 provinces and three territories (does that sound familiar US friends?).
As a person who lives on the Canada-US border and has many friends who cross for work everyday, OUR govt doesn’t seem to have worked with YOUR govt about how to deal with legalized cannabis in The Great White North.
They tell us:
Don’t ever lie to a US border official;BUT - don’t ever admit to having used it, having it in your home or even investing (even through an arms length mutual fund) in a cannabis-related business.
Soooo....what the heck do we do in the face of a stupid lack of planning and forethought on issues that any mature adult saw coming when this policy change was first announced several years ago. Canada really is a pretty cool country with sensible policies on nearly every big issue (IMO) - but I’m sure so sure about this one.
I’m stickin’ to BEvErages for now.
PS - c’mon over anytime Jim! You’re always welcome in my home.

Hi Pete,
legalizing pot is easy and cost free, all they gotta do is quit arresting folks for growing, selling and using the stuff.
But they ain't doing that.
Instead the cops are seeking a reliable pot detector so they can ticket folks for driving while stoned
and the government want to stamp out private enterprise so they can make pot a profit generating government monopoly.
Which will be difficult and expensive.

Cops do a swab test here to test for dope driving........There has never been any scientific research done relating to the affects that dope has on driving, there is no legal minimum standard like alcohol.. ...heck could have been at a party and ingested through the air.....

Last edited:
....and that’s the point Skull. No testing, no science, no standards - just political BS and cynical vote-grabbing coupled with contradictory regulations, unrealistic economics and responsibility-ducking all wrapped up in a nice package of silly admonishments to not do what everyone knows WILL be done.

Government run pot shops.....what could go wrong?
Hey Pete, I thought you could smoke in public. Guess your car isn't public? Cop must not have gotten the message.
Here Colorado, smoke 'em if you got 'em, just not in public.:smoke:

Government run pot shops.....what could go wrong?
Hey Pete, I thought you could smoke in public. Guess your car isn't public? Cop must not have gotten the message.
Here Colorado, smoke 'em if you got 'em, just not in public.:smoke:

You can smoke (tobacco) in certain public areas, but as I understand it, you can only smoke pot where drinking alcohol would be permitted and thus, you can NEVER smoke pot in a car.

Basically, they're treating it somewhat like alcohol.

Sorry Pete, I must have a selective listening. I was listening to the news and reading the paper too. I guess I missed
that part. I hope they clarified that though, and said bars only (no food served). Here in the US of A, restaurants can serve alcohol. Me, I wouldn't eat at a restaurant where the patrons could smoke weed while I was trying to enjoy a meal.
Don't hate those that partake, I just try to not be around it.:twocents:

*deleted*

One of those dicussions that is not going to change anybody's mind and will just create animosity.
Heh..... you shoulda read my first post..... before I thought the better of it and deleted all but what's left up there. ;)

Heh..... you shoulda read my first post..... before I thought the better of it and deleted all but what's left up there. ;)

Haha, I had read it. I should have quoted ya Jim..........;)

Prohibition of alcohol under the Volstead Act taught a lesson: if government bans a substance that a significant number of citizens is determined to use, the end result will be great expense to government, richer and better armed criminals, and continued use of the substance. The lesson wasn't applied, and now the United States incarcerates its citizens at the highest rate of any nation in the world. The rational thing to do in the "war on drugs" is to admit defeat, decriminalize, and start over, with a hard look at how civilized countries deal with the issues. That won't happen. Incarceration has become an industry in itself, and there are powerful fingers in that pie that aren't likely to let go of it.

Back