Oh Canada

Good points Dick. As far as stoned drivers go... the first step a cop takes is to give a sobriety test. If you fail that test, you're suspected of being impaired and he's gonna take further action. At that point, the cause of the impairment is moot.... Doesn't matter if it was Jack Daniels or Panama Red that caused it, you're off the road.

Personally, in a state where cell phone use is perfectly legal while driving, I'm much more fearful of the idiot texting his wife on what's for dinner than I am any other type of "impaired" driver.

Anything new is bound to have bugs... time will weed those out... pun intended. We'll never eliminate drunk drivers, but we do have a measure of safety on our roads. I suspect stoned drivers will trend the same. Besides, weed has always been available... the stoned drivers have always been out there among us.

Last edited:
How do you think we survive the long winters eh?
A6CB78C7-B1E1-4981-9184-5AAF75CEFE05.gif

Edit: it was funnier when the animation worked! Haha! :cool:

BTW I don't have a dog in this fight as far as personal consumption goes; used to like the herb but have had a bad reaction to it since '74, and tobacco is my only remaining vice. What irks me is paying taxes to maintain a system so massive that ~20% of the US population winds up with a prison record, at a cost per inmate greater than what it would take to send that inmate to college, with very little money going to drug rehab services. Who benefits? Big business, of course. The private sector gets free consumers, the public sector foots the bill. There is no "war against drugs." It's a war against people.

The private sector gets free consumers, the public sector foots the bill. There is no "war against drugs." It's a war against people.
It boggles the mind don't it Dick..... We've even figured out a way for capitalism to profit on crimes and punishment. Pretty sure the Founders of this grand experiment would have some strong opinions..... yeah... better cut myself off here.

Nope, 2M, don't want to get into a long yarn, but paraquat doesn't account for it. 1974, living in Jamaica at the time in the deep country, local stuff, noncommercial, no chemical suppression there at the time. I was never a heavy smoker. One day all was fine, the next time the herb just made me dizzy and nervous; not fearful, just nervous. The same thing happened with other batches in other places, and that was that. Can't say I missed it all that much. I have a hunch as to what caused the reaction, but that's another story entirely. Let's just say that I managed to piss off the wrong person.

Late seventies... Florida panhandle. A huge load came to town that had been in the bilge of a boat with a serious fuel tank leak. We called the stuff "diesel." Gave you the worst headache you can imagine. It had that distinctive kerosene smell to it. I only tried it once. To this day my head starts to hurt when I smell diesel fuel... ;)
For those willing... it could be had for pennies on the dollar.

Yeah, Jim, things have gotten pretty weird in these Untied States of Anxiety. I have no kick against classical capitalism, where the owner takes the risk and suffers the consequences of bad decisions, but uncontrolled corporate capitalism is another beast entirely. So-called conservatives like to invoke Adam Smith, founder of modern economic theory and author of The Wealth of Nations. They conveniently ignore Smith's condemnation of chartered corporations. Most political discourse in America today is a matter of spin. The mailed fist faction of the Great Corporate Party tells the public that being bent over the barrel is good for them. The velvet glove faction takes the line that they'd like to keep the public from being bent over the barrel, but they just can't get "bipartisan consensus" (Obama's excuse, when his faction of the GCP controlled both chambers of Congress). Either way, the shots that count are called in corporate board rooms, and both factions serve the same masters and work to the same ends. You can have Coke or Pepsi, but if you don't want cola you're SOL.

Late seventies... Florida panhandle. A huge load came to town that had been in the bilge of a boat with a serious fuel tank leak. We called the stuff "diesel." Gave you the worst headache you can imagine. It had that distinctive kerosene smell to it. I only tried it once. To this day my head starts to hurt when I smell diesel fuel... ;)
You became hypersensitive to diesel. It happened to me, too, from a train ride to California when I was 11 yrs old.

The Michigan State Police used to have a destruction area near the town that I grew up in. They would pile the stuff on the ground, cover it with diesel, light it up and leave. It would never fully burn and there was plenty to just pick up if you wanted it. Yeah, it tasted like diesel and earned the name "MSP Weed".

Scott

Another problem with illegal weed; no quality control. How many people do you know that bought a bag of oregano from somebody?

Hi guys,
just after the moon landings a well known Science Fiction writer said:-
"Well, most of our stories about going to the moon and back were just about right.
Except for seeing it live on TV. That, we never thought of."
And 3 days after Canada's pot legalization what I'd never thought to see on TV is a
nice lady on this morning's local news show telling us how to cook with cannabis oil.

I work in Mental health and see first hand the issues caused by drugs, even though the majority of people that smoke canabis get away with it there is a minority that end up with Psychosis and long term mental health issues. The strenght of the canabis now is Evil and this is the culprit to the increase in drug induced Psychosis Technically the canabis induces a burst of dopamine into the brain at high levels plus other chemicals which in some has an Evil effect and requires psycheatric intervensions ..... So i do not feel that legalising Weed is a good thing .... Granted the amount a person smokes is part of it to,, but its like any drug it can run away with you and take control of you and spit you out into a world off hurt
All the best funky

Tru dat I think it has lasting effects on your brain. Knew several that got sucked off into wishy washy, so what, who cares life for a long time. Course we have no way of knowing if it staved off some other worse fate. It has a following among self medicators as a way to dull pain and anguish.

This whole issue is way above my pay grade. One of my sons worked in mental health for a number years. I could have sworn it was him talking when I read Funky's comments. He said, "Dad, the pot now a days is nothing like you guys used to smoke back then." He has witnessed countless heartbreaking cases such as Funky alludes to.

One of my cousins is a former Narcotics officer with the Windsor, Ontario police force. He claims that the best (highest THC content) pot is now known as 'BC Bud'. Genetically modified and grown in British Columbia Canada. 'Evil' as funky says. This is potentially, psychotically dangerous stuff.

On the other hand, giving someone a criminal record, preventing them from entry into the US, and have life altering consequences for possession of a small amount for personal use is also wrong IMHO.

Legalization is not going to eliminate the criminal element as has been proven elsewhere.

The medical benefits have also been proven.

I really don't know how we can resolve all this. I'm quite frankly baffled as to where we go from here.

Back