Oil Change and Sump Filter

jimdi

Jimdi
Reaction score
Ok - I replaced the sump filter on my XS650 '81 2 years ago with the new style from Mikes that doesn't blow out. Now when I do oil changes - How often should I remove and inspect that sump filter? I do the regular on the side oil filter/screen on each oil change BTW - I am using the XS Performance paper filter/cooler kit from Mikes on my bike for better oil filtering than the screen. But the Break away bolts on the sump cover make me nervous removing them all the time.
Do I NEED to check the sump filter as well on every oil change?.

Thanks
Jim

I'd recommend you remove and clean the sump filter with every oil change (every 1000 miles or 1700 kms). Its so easy, why would you not do it? You want to see if there is any debris from engine parts wearing out ( front camchain guide etc.)

Use 7 ft-lbs for the bolts and you have nothing to worry about.

When in doubt, get all the needed gaskets and filters and do it. Personally, I'd clean/inspect the sump filter once a year. Especially if I did a lot of rideing.

What about the bolts on the sump cover? Factory are some sort of breakaway - I cannot find replacements. Are standard bolts OK?

The replacement filters blow out as well so you better check it. I put stainless bolts in mine and torque them to 80 in/lbs. A word of caution for any small bolt you're torquing - go slowly and bring it up to spec gently. I watched a young guy run the bolts in on the starter gear cover under the drive sprocket like he was a human speed wrench. He promptly stripped 2. He was using my torque wrench set correctly but he went so darn fast that he couldn't stop in time or hear/feel the click at the proper torque. Duh

Is it necessary or recommended to use gasket sealant on the new Sump Plate gasket?

The PO of my XS650C appeared to have used some sort of sealant.

Don't use any sealant. The gasket is what makes an oil tight seal, so there is no need for a sealant. Make sure the surfaces are super clean, and only use the torque mentioned earlier.

Sealant such as Yamabond/Threebond 1104 is used for the engine casing halves and for the rocker covers, where there are no gaskets. Everywhere else use gaskets with no sealant.

There is an exception. With the head gasket, it been found best to put some sealant around the camchain tunnel opening and the outer stud openings.

I changed my sump screen on my '78/E shortly after I bought the bike in '96. Back then, the reinforced screen was not available, so I installed an OEM Yamaha screen. Checked it every year for the first few years. No problem. Then it got to be about every 3 years. Then only if I had some reason to. That screen lasted until the day I sold the bike in 2008. The bike had over 80,000 miles when I last saw it. I had checked the screen the year before and it was fine.

The secret? I always warm the engine up completely. and keep the revs down for the first few miles. It's the thick oil when the engine is cold that sucks a hole in the screen. I could see that on the oil pressure gage I installed. I also removed the bypass valve and plugged it with a threaded stud because the rest of my theory is that the bypass valve opens with cold oil and that increases the flow through the sump screen, which doesn't have a bypass valve, resulting in a hole in the screen.

I used 15 PSI on the oil pressure gage as a shift point until the pressure droped below that.

On the subject....I am about to change my sump filter and gasket when it comes in. Whoever installed mine before I received the bike used a pretty thick layer of gasket sealer. None of the manuals or Haynes manual that I have say to use a sealer.

Will the new gasket on clean surfaces be sufficient without a sealant???

Yes and good luck getting that cover off, lol.

I'm on my 2nd new filter. The 1st one was blown out at the 1st oil change, barely 1000 miles. I have to agree with Pete. I think I was riding too hard with cold oil. I take it easier when 1st starting out now that Pete posted about this and so far, the new filter is holding up. I don't accelerate as hard and try to keep the revs to 4K max until the bike warms up a bit more.

I really appreciate the information & sage advice!

1 before shot and 3 after shots....

After looking at the mirror-assisted images, I may need to do some more cleaning underneath the bike.

Attachments

• 2011-06-28_18-42-58_427.jpg
    2011-06-28_18-42-58_427.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 2011-07-09_11-49-37_255.jpg
    2011-07-09_11-49-37_255.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 956
  • 2011-07-09_11-53-33_350.jpg
    2011-07-09_11-53-33_350.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 848
  • 2011-07-05_12-14-08_477.jpg
    2011-07-05_12-14-08_477.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 1,308
Last edited:
Per feedback, I didn't use any sealant, but did apply a very light coating of new YamaLube 20W/50 to gasket surfaces in an effort to make it easier for gasket to be removed @ next filter change/inspection.

No leaks.

Last edited:
hey so i went to d an oil change on my 81 xs650. i took the 2 bolts out that are on the cap and where earlier in the thread said thats where the oil filter is located. when i got the bolts off the cap didn't move at all i tried playing with it a bit but it just felt solid, how do i take the cover off to get to the filter? thats is "if" im even in the right place
Thanks guys!

When I install the gasket I use a coating of grease and let it soak in a few minuets.

That side cover can be a bear if some idiot PO used gasket sealer. I made this to do it but I'm out on the lunatic fringe on home made tools, I also have opened 10 or 15 so far. A couple of bolts tapped in the holes then tap on the bolts?

oilfiltercoverwrench.jpg

You are at "one" right place, search sump filter for info on the "other" filter.

I have a 1980 xs650 special, anybody know if there are 2 sump filters on my bike? Just wanting to know if I need to order 1 or 2? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Back