oil change, some question...

jurand

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
earlier, this week I ordered new oil filters(side and sump), oval pods, breather and other stuff from 650central. there was a box waiting for me today, so after dinner I drained old oil and removed both oil filters (pics below). both dirty as hell, sump broken in usual place, but not a lot of chips on magnetic draining screw. new questions:
1. first picture. there is a gasket on the bottom. how do you remove this gasket if you want to change it?
2. what kind of gasket glue or silicon do you use? I was reading somewhere I should use glue between cover and gasket and silicon between gasket and engine case. but there was no explanation what glue and silicon to use. any help?

tomorrow will try to remove and clean carburetors. until now I was using bs34 and standard airboxes with factory jetting. as stated before, I have new air filters (oval pods from xs performance). if somebody of you use this filters could you tell me what jets and needles should I use?

thanks for any info...

Attachments

• side_filter.jpg
    side_filter.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 307
  • side_cover.jpg
    side_cover.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 290
  • oil.filter.jpg
    oil.filter.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 299
  • sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 341
The general rule is glue between a gasket and a non-machined (rough) surface and no glue between a gasket and a machined (smooth) surface.

I was reading somewhere I should use glue between cover and gasket and silicon between gasket and engine case.

For the gasket in the picture I wouldn't put any sealer on. Because it's hard to get out of there! And it probably wouldn't leak, being thick cardboardy stuff.

To remove old gaskets, I use paint stripper. Once you install new gaskets in that little side filter, you won't have to change them for years. They last and last. The bottom sump filter gasket should be good for 5 or 6 changes before it starts seeping too much.

DO NOT use any sealer of any type on any of these gaskets. I just oil mine with motor oil. It aids in sealing and the parts remove easily without damaging the gasket in the future.

Save and repair your old sump filter. Clean up and save the side filter as well. Then you will have clean spares to swap in at oil changes. Best set-up is to acquire another sump plate (about $10 from eBay) so you can have a spare filter/plate assembly to swap in.

For your pods, you'll probably want to increase your pilots and mains one size. You may even need 2 sizes up on the mains but start with just one and see what happens.

what size are the bolts for removing the filters? and i heard i need crush washers does anyone know that size?

first bike, my bad for the beginner questions

I always use a good sharp razor blade to remove gasket material just be careful not to dig into the aluminum with it. If you hold it right it works great. Make sure to get a light underneath the bike to help you make sure you get all the old gasket off the sump plate. I did this in the middle of the night after work to fix an oil leak while doing the filters on my recent beater bike purchase and didn't get it all, made the leak worse. I don't think the beers helped me at all either......

X2 on the paint stripper to remove gaskets. Spread some on the gasket and let it set a few minutes. The gaskets will peel right off. And you don't have to worry about scratching a smooth, machined aluminum surface. Be careful with the stripper. I was careless a few weeks ago and got some on a finger. I didn't bother to wash it off right away. So now I have an annoying chemical burn that doesn't want to go away! :doh: Dumb! I know better!

Back