1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

OIL Cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xstwin, Mar 8, 2010.

1. xstwin

xstwin XS650 Addict

Was just wondering what kind of oil coolers and or filter combinations are you guys running on the xs.Also I will take all ideas, theories, et. Been thinking about building some new designs to put into production so I can lose some money.

2. maxx40x

maxx40x XS650 Enthusiast

Take a look at the oil coolers that Buell used on there 1997 Thunderbolt. Its small, could be mounted damn near anywhere one’s little heart desired on an XS.:bike:

3. inxs

inxs xx

- got one of these to put on

[​IMG]

- and this

[​IMG]

- and this

[​IMG]

4. xstwin

xstwin XS650 Addict

Where did u get the spin on sump adaptor that looks like it would work well

5. inxs

inxs xx

- take a look here

6. KentMoney

KentMoney XS650 Addict

does the mikes xs small filter/sidecover adaptor (in the last picture) really work well? is it worth getting? just doesn't seem like its worth the $200 cost...

7. tonyc

tonyc XS650 Guru

Money I think you were looking at the high pressure oil pump for $200 at Mile's. The filter is only $114. Tony C

8. Grinder

Grinder XS650 Guru

Just did the oil filter/cooler on mine. Seems to work well and at least you get an actual filter and not a screen. The price really jumped though, $115 now at Mike's. I paid $65 in Jan. 2011 from Mike.

gggGary likes this.
  9. KentMoney

KentMoney XS650 Addict

ah yes, you're right. but still, is it worth the $115 upgrade?

10. Grinder

Grinder XS650 Guru

I guess that's your call. I thought it was worth it but it was half the price.

11. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I have this. In the first pic you can see how I changed the oil return line in the oil filter cover. Looks much cleaner, and it's not in the way of your toe when using the brake.
    Leo

Attached Files:

gggGary likes this.
  12. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    What about a setup like this but with one hose out the oil filter cap and the other out the bottom like in your first and last picture.

13. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

I would worry about it overlapping the head/cylinder area.

Grimmith likes this.
  14. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Somewhere on this site there is a diagram of the oil passage that needs to be blocked off when using a remote oil cooler. Where is it?:umm:

15. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

just another install;
    20190610_195634.jpg oil filter.jpg
    note the side filter cover was flipped for more meat to hold the fitting threads.

halfmile and Bushyeyed1 like this.
  16. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

As a filter upgrade, ut works great. But I doubt the cooling capacity. It also looks a bit out of place. I machined the fins off on. mine. Heiden has a versjon without fins, and the other adapter with a remote filter. Which is a plug and play solution og you want a cooler AS well.

gggGary and azman857 like this.
  17. :agree:
    Forget the cooling, but it's an excellent filter upgrade.

arcticXS and gggGary like this.
  18. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    I don`t remember what brand the filter-cooler adapter is but there was plenty of room to remove a couple of fins to install the return fitting. I used a Earl`s cooler.
    XS650 build 032.JPG
    oil cooler 001.JPG

Grimmith and gggGary like this.
  19. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

The cooler is filled from the top so they don't empty when the engine isn't running.

gggGary likes this.