Oil Coolers and Filters

Stone Co Rambler

Tarmac & Terra Firma
Reaction score
After a search of this site, I wanted to inquire about the different oil cooler options available.

The Mike's XS uses a standard Honda oil filter. This is attractive to me since I have a 07 XR650 that would use that same filter.

The other, Hugh's, uses the stock filter.

My question(s) are:

1) Is the oil cooler a useful modification?

2) Does the MXS cooler/Honda filter have any advantages or disadvantages over
the Hugh's set up with Yamaha stock filter.

I do not want to modify the bike for the sake of modifying it, so if the oil cooler is a useful upgrade, which of the two (subject to opinion) is preferable. Or, is this just throwing money at the bike?

Thanks for your thoughts....

I used the Honda filter upgrade from mikes. My thought on that was having two just regular screen filters would not get very small particles. The paper Honda filter will get what the screens let through. I could be wrong but that's my take on it

The Mike's XS uses a standard Honda oil filter. This is attractive to me since I have a 07 XR650 that would use that same filter.

1) Is the oil cooler a useful modification?

Yes. Double your stock of filters (I did). Done.

Like rybeatty stated, (insert favorite brand filter here) they can catch small particles better. The stock screens can be cleaned and reused if condition does not warrant replacement though.

Hi,
Since I live in Norway, I order most of my parts from Jerry Heiden (www.xs650.biz), but I believe he cooperates closely with MikesXS anyway.

I got the "Oil Filter/Cooler" for my XS in 2010 (item#15-6504, price now 72 Euro, replacement filter 6 Euro), and ran the bike approx 5000 km that summer. Just based on this, I cannot judge neither cooling efficiency nor filtration efficiency of this unit. However, by just looking at it and applying my mechanical engineering and thermodynamics background, I must say that the cooling effect must be very limited.

Heiden also has a similar kit, just without cooling ribs (#HT-6504, price now 59 Euro) This looks better IMO, and uses the same HONDA 600 filter.

In hindsight, I should have bought Heidens external oil filter kit (#HT0092, price now 110 Euro, replacement filter 9 Euro) link here:

http://xs650.biz/p/28/2802/mo74-cg|22=3/#ht-0092-external-oil-filter-kit-

This kit uses a remote filter of the "canister" type, like most cars, Ducatis etc, that is much larger than the Honda 600 cartridge. And it can be mounted where you like, as long as the hoses are long enough. There is no need for any drilling, tapping or blocking of oilways with this kit. The adapter is mounted just like the OEM filter cover, so the installation is fully reversible. A larger filter should have a longer lifespan, so should actually be cheaper in the long run. This kit should work fine in combination with a traditional oil cooler, that actually would provide cooling........

As much as I appreciate Hugh's contributions to keeping our old beloved bikes on the road, and supplying upgrade parts and services, the "oil cooler" using the OEM strainer must be pretty worthless IMO.

So you are basically left with 2 sensible choices, the Honda 600 filter unit without the cooling ribs, or the external filter unit.

If you really like the "cooler/filter" using the Honda filter, I could actually consider selling mine, along with some spare filters. Used 1 summer, no scratches or anything! I would rather have the external filter on mine, perhaps using some nicer braided hoses with anodized AN fittings.

All,

Thanks for your comments.

Had the same reservations and questions that ArticXS raised regarding actual cooling properties of the MXS and HHB options.

That being said, it seems the paper Honda filter would do a better job of filtering than the stock filter, which I understand is metal/mesh and more free flowing (have yet to do an oil change). Not sure on this???

The auto type filter AXS prefers seems to have obvious advantages in cooling and filtering. I will admit, asthetically it leaves much to be desired and I am not sure the benefit would outweigh the awkward appearance of this design. Seems these bikes have been going okay with the factory design for sometime.

However, those wanting maximum efficency in oil cooling and filtering, the auto type would be the way to go. From my perspective, I want to spend money on upgrades that correct glaring problems or design flaws (i.e brass swing arm bushings).

That leaves me at paper filter vs. stock filter debate I suppose. Either way, this does not seem to be a critical issue that cannot be addressed with proper oil change intervals and inspections.

That leaves me at paper filter vs. stock filter debate I suppose. Either way, this does not seem to be a critical issue that cannot be addressed with proper oil change intervals and inspections.

I think you hit the nail on the head here... I think the oil cooling and capacity increases are more critical than the filtering efficiency. these bikes ran just fine for years and years with the stock filters, as long as you inspected and changed your oil at the right times.

I think you hit the nail on the head here... I think the oil cooling and capacity increases are more critical than the filtering efficiency. these bikes ran just fine for years and years with the stock filters, as long as you inspected and changed your oil at the right times.

IMHO the benefit of a cartridge type filter is a) better and more consistent filtration but accept that this is an arguable point and b) ease of changing over the OE filters.

Oil coolers are a different matter. Without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious, oil has an optimum operating temperature range.
I don't know where in the scheme of things a standard XS operates but when fitting a cooler there is the potential to drop the oil temperature too low particularly in low ambient conditions.
I don't consider coolers a bad thing to have but would only fit one in conjunction with thermostatic control.

Now i know this is an Old topic but I'm only just addressing this subject on my bike,
E7C3DFEF-683F-4AD4-B4AE-855EFC4C37D9.jpg

i don't care about aesthetics so will probably go with the HT external filter system upgrade from the boys in Holland,
as i do like an easy life and have shit loads of other stuff to do so quicker service time ticks a box for me.
my question is.. "do i need to upgrade the sump strainer as well"...?
or just make sure the strainer is in good fettle and make sure engine is warm before serving up the BEANZ..?
TIA...X

Back