Oil Coolers

Well lots of people mount oil coolers and think its going to really effect summer engine temperatures.........to some extent it does but very little since the hottest and most damaging place is the cylinders.........I did a 6 year study and found some interesting things........First the right side cylinder runs 25 or so degrees hotter than the left........this issue must be dealt with to reduce overall cylinder temperatures sucessfully........secondly I think the best spot for the cooler is in front of the engine mount down somewhat low as to not block any air flow.........thirdly air direction vanes will reduce cylinder temperatures another 15 degrees or more if mounted properly and are nearly as valuable as lowering the right cylinder temperature........finally I started 10 years ago with 270+ cylinder temperatures and now I get 230 degrees or less on a hot summer day on the highway..........a combination of things is what successfully lowers cylinder temperatures.......no single thing does it completely........below is an old pic of the success I had without the air deflectors......now seeing 230 cylinder temps instead of 245 @ 85 degrees ambient.......and what a difference that makes....nearly like a water cooled bike now.............oh well.......xsjohn

Attachments

• Oil Temps.jpg
    Oil Temps.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Wings.jpg
    Wings.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 937
Yes, I use loctite master gasket to glue the gasket to the pan & use grease on the engine side. Though a thin smear of grease or never sieze on both sides would work fine.
Just don't glue it to the motor, too hard to get it off later!

Trebor13..........Probably because it has less ability to dissipate heat as compared to the left being over a air cavity and maybe aggravated by being the drive side……..that is my best guess….but the one thing that is for sure is that it does happen when both cylinders show the same compression…….. driving cylinder temperatures up….xsjohn

Perhaps also, the rotor acts as a slight heat sink on the left. Also the oil pump is on the right. Even the tacho drive would add a small amount of heat! All small things that add up.

John,

I love those air deflectors, need 'em, want 'em, gotta have 'em! My track bike will need every cooling option available to live until I wad it. New project when I get back home! Now to find a sheet of carbon filber, gotta help the old girl keep her schoolgirl figure....

Yellow wings........call it the Canary....:)....don't forget the one under the headlight......another 50% I would figure......................xsjohn

Yamaman.........never thought of the rotor as a sink.....opening the round cover for air would make it even more so...temp in there was 180+ now 130 degrees....once I added everything up I am down 40 degrees on the express.......that put it right where I wanted it...........:)

why does the right cylinder run hotter?

I thought I read somewhere it's because the exhausts run at differant angles on each side with the one on the right more to the front of the engine.

Probably something to do with the extra heat generated by the internal gubbins of the clutch cover inc. clutch & primary gears , oil-pump/tacho drive (+the oil in there) conducting upwards....

Well, for what it's worth, all that shit is WAY too expensive. Those cooler line's can be had for half that, & you still got all the machineing to do.Link over to the Oz site & see how they have it set-up. I think that 650 central has a pictire of the best way to cool the oil. Russell line's are not that expensive, even with all the hardware.
Where the hell do you put those ' adjustable power band ' thingy's anyways? Can't say I ever saw anything like that.
Tricked out ought to be really nice, but unless you got more money than sense, you can get a better, nicer looking product for allot less. Just my:twocents:worth.
I am definately interested in watching the build,& picture's are allways good.:shrug::bike:

Back