Oil Coolers

Retiredgentleman, That' s what I thought also, but he was talking about the new set-up that he installed. Thought I was missing something. Spoke to Heiden tuning about the gasket issue earlier in this post and he assured me there was no issues in using the little gasket as is.

Where did You locate the filter? I have a decided on a two inch stretch and to take up the space under the seat i want to put in a beehive oil filter running a Fram (spin on type) oil filter. What type?

Real new to the xs650....but love them!:thumbsup:

I had it hung off the front motor mount. I used a PH3600. I would use the largest filter you can fit in there. The lartger the filter the more oil you will have in the system. The more the oil the system it runs a bit cooler and stay cleaner longer.

Great thanks so much! I have read both good and bad things about the High performance oil pump...and i have seen guys build up real high performance engines and use the stock oil pump, any suggestions?

- i have one of these to put on my xs...this is on an sr

BlBPMgBmkKGrHqUOKj8Ets3Li4mfBLc-weW.jpg

What is that a cooler, instead of the radiator? Where do you get those????

This is what is on mine and is looking a bit old & tired.
IMG_0388.jpg

Screen+shot+2011-04-12+at+8.23.12+PM.png

Will giving it a coat of paint reduces it's effectiveness?

Lightly on the fins and heavier on the top and bottom won't hurt anything.
Lokk in the aftermarket catalogs, like J&P, Drag Specialities and such, Maybe look on Ebay.
Neufeld, the stock pump has been used in racing applications for years with good results. I don't think the $200 pump is worth the cost.
Once you get the side cover adapted for the oil lines, then you can run any filter and or cooler.
Leo

Lightly on the fins and heavier on the top and bottom won't hurt anything.
Lokk in the aftermarket catalogs, like J&P, Drag Specialities and such, Maybe look on Ebay.
Neufeld, the stock pump has been used in racing applications for years with good results. I don't think the $200 pump is worth the cost.
Once you get the side cover adapted for the oil lines, then you can run any filter and or cooler.
Leo

Nice touch !

Hey do you use gasket sealer on the replacement gaskets required for the oil pan and the oil pump filter ?

Lots of first time questions

Permatex make a Gasket Shellac Called "Indian Head". I've used it for decades on split engine cases, side covers and oil pans w/out any paper. As long as the parts are relatively flat, spread it thin on both sides. Let it tack for quite a bit. Then install the cover and seat the screws lightly so as not to squeeze all the goo out but snug enough to fill any voids and even it out. Then tighten it the next day after it sets. Never leaks and cleans off easy on the next teardown. Way neater than silicone and it stays where you put it rather than in the pump screen.:thumbsup:
later

Here is an oil cooler from MikesXS mounted on my '81/H.

cooler1.jpg

Drilled and tapped one of the oil passages on the front of the cover and another on the oil filter cover for the return line. Added an oil pressure gage line just for good measure:

cooler4.jpg

Blocked the internal passage with a 3/8" rod held in place with a set screw:

cooler5.jpg

The cooler needs to be mounted low so it will not interfere with air flow to the head or cylinders.

Actually I don't think that the mounting position will hurt any thing. When I put the cooler on mine I had It mounted up just below the sterring neck. I had the extra oil filter mounted on the front engine mount.
Yes it may block some air flow around the upper cylinders and head, but the extra cooling from the cooler more than compensates for any cooling loss up top.
My cooler dropped the head and cylinder temps like 40-50 degrees.
When I was installing it I started with the oil lines just running out and back in with a car temp gauge plumbed inline. On a 75 degree day the oil temps at return to the engine was around 200 as stock, add the oil filter temp dropped about 5 degrees, add the cooler the oil temp dropped about 45 degrees more. Total about 50 degrees.
I also shot the head and cylinder temps. as stock about 290 degrees at head and upper cylinders. Add filter was around 265, add cooler, head and cylinder was around 240.
One thing I noticed was as stock the left to right side variation was around 15 to 20 degrees. With the filter and cooler they were the same to maybe 5 degrees difference.
The cooler from MIke's is about the same size as mine from a Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo. So I assume Pamcopete's readings will be close to mine.
Leo

What ab a post i read a few years ago, cutting the oil tube that delivers oil over the head and putting a cooler in that way. Nice cooloil will hit the hot mottor.....?

If posible can u post a link 2 that post. Im lookking forward 2getting my 80 special back on the road tis year. Ill post some pics soon.

Back