oil filter coolers

I haven't tried one myself, but from the few that have they don't cool the oil much. Their main advantage is the paper filter elements they use instead of the brass mesh used as stock.
Plumbing an oil line into the side cover cools much better and you can use a spin on filter with the right adapters.
That's what I did and get about a 50* drop in oil temps. A bit more than it needs but you can control the cooling by controlling the air flow through the cooler element or use a smaller cooler.
The cooler I used for that testing was about the same size as the one Mike's XS sells. I have one that is only about two thirds that size. I have yet to try it to see the difference. Perhaps this summer I can Get the parts on the 75, do a test loop with out any cooler, add the big one, do another test loop, install the smaller, run the test loop again.
I did a similar test a few years back comparing adding an external oil filter, then adding the cooler.
A search oil coolers may turn it up.
Leo

Has anyone tried these oil coolers that bolt in place of the oil filter cover and do they help?

Hi hotshoe,
like Leo sez, their main advantage is that it has a real filter inside it instead of the stock cooking oil strainer.
That and they look good.

Lets have a look. here are 4 different ones, 2 from one seller.

MikesXS/Heiden Tuning
Mikes in conjunction with Heiden Tuning designed and marked these for years now. These can be considered an upgrade due to a paper filter replacing the original side screen. Better filtration............. There has been some concern, in some circles, the paper filter restricts oil flow to much. These filters, (i reluctantly call them oil coolers), have been used for a years now and as far as i know there have not been any reported problems caused by using the paper filter.

If you have a good look at the design you can see between the 3rd and 4th, (outside fin), the machining has gone quite deep and looks to be as deep as the thickness of the main shaft. This looks to be designed to run of as much heat as possible.............The plus with, (mikesXS/Heiden Tuning), filter is the oil enters the old filter area and gets forced out into the fin area, (outside the actual engine side cover),due to the spacer where it then goes through the filter, back through the spacer and into the motor.
.......................................................Spacer
MikesXS 15-performance_oil_filter_cooler_ 99.95.jpg Mike'sXS 2 performance_oil_filter_cooler.jpg$99.95

HughsHandbuilt;
https://www.hughshandbuilt.com/product/hhb-xs650-bolt-oil-cooler/

Hugh's states his product is a "Bolt on oil Cooler"

(1): This product uses the existing XS650 Screen. Where the oil gallery exits into the screen chamber the oil is directed, directly onto the side of the screen. The screen sits and is bolted to the inside of the engine side case. The pressure of the oil pump will fill the cavity of the finned area that sits outside the engine case.

Once the cooler cavity is full, what stops the hot oil from going directly through the screen back into the motor? Oil will be forced out into the cavity so the pump pressure keeps the oil circulating through the motor. Once the cooler cavity fills, the direction of the oil from the gallery would ensure a good portion of the oil will be forced through the screen going back into the motor before it can circulate in the finned cavity that is supposed to be cooling the oil.

I cannot give any dimensions of Hughs cooler.

Hughs Site 1.jpg hughs site 2 99.50 on Special.jpg On Special $99.50, ($125)

Also sold by TCBros.............he shows a 6 finned cooler.

Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/str/TC-Bros-Choppers-LLC/Engines-Clutch-Gaskets/_i.html?_storecat=5018865012

Hughs'Handbuilt.jpg Hughs Handbuilt 125.50.jpg$125.00

Ebay Cooler A
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-...799218?hash=item282cd43f72:g:R8QAAOSwDk5UBnVH

States: *Uses OEM filter, don't put filters made for other bikes in your sweet XS.
Go back and read (1)

Fins are cut deep

Ebay cooler a.jpg Ebay cooler a2.jpg$69.99
Same seller fins aren't cut as deep

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-...799616?hash=item282cd44100:g:Y5oAAOSwMmBVm0RT
ebay cooler a3.jpg ebay cooler a4.jpg $79.99

Ebay Cooler B

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-...516581?hash=item41ddc47f25:g:rY4AAOSwq7xal5ZQ

Go Back and read (1)
Retains use of OEM filters

Ebay cooler b1.jpg Ebay cooler b2 59.00.jpg Ebay cooler b3.jpg$59.00

After doing this IMHO i would think that MikesXS Filter/Cooler would be better at cooling than any of the others who claim theirs is a cooler

Last edited:
A timely thread. I have been running the Mikes - Heiden filter /cooler for some time now and agree with Skull to call it a cooler is a bit of a stretch.
I like the paper filter and they are cheap enough to change each time with the oil.
With a small mod to the filter housing you can take the clutch cover off without dismounting the filter, which is handy.
At the moment I am just finishing making copies of Mikes XS filter set up for other XS's in the shed. Will post photos in the its my turn thread.

There's also the oil filter conversion kit, as sold by 650Central (www.650central.com). While not necessarily an oil cooler, it utilizes an automotive-type, spin-on filter that protrudes from the side cover. It's exposure could provide some cooling, but its main advantage is the much enhanced filtration.

What little air flow to the head you loose is more than made up by the better oil cooling.
The 50* drop I noted in the oil temps also applies to the head temps as well as cylinder temps. Measured at the area around the plugs, as measured by laser thermometer. Cylinders measured just below head. Cylinders measured at mid and bottom didn't show quite as much cooling, About 35*.
These temps are recalled from a few years back so may not be accurate. I did a write up in one of the oil cooler threads when I did them.
Leo

Here is a link to the XS café more info than you can shake a stick at.
https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/category/m-engine/motor-oil/

I have also seen but cant recall where,a mod to the clutch cover that allows a Fram paper cartridge filter to fit and uses the standard screen cover. I thought it was on the XS café but may have been on the Dutch club website.

What little air flow to the head you loose is more than made up by the better oil cooling.
The 50* drop I noted in the oil temps also applies to the head temps as well as cylinder temps. Measured at the area around the plugs, as measured by laser thermometer. Cylinders measured just below head. Cylinders measured at mid and bottom didn't show quite as much cooling, About 35*.
These temps are recalled from a few years back so may not be accurate. I did a write up in one of the oil cooler threads when I did them.
Leo
Measurements beat presumptions every time!

Back