Oil filter modification ?

hobbes28

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been lurking on here for some time now and guess it's time to start the questions. I am restoring a '77 xs650 that is in pretty good shape as it is. I guess most of the restorations (for now) are just replacing the consumables and regular maintenance parts. I am a machinist, though, so I know that this will turn into a huge custom restoration before too much longer.

Anyway, my question is: I am looking at the side oil filter screen and wondering if I could just fill up the two threaded holes for the cover and make an extended center shaft that has the same size hole through the middle as the factory one and thread the other end to take one of the Fram style filters. I have seen the spin on filter for sale on one of the numerous sites I visit but would think I could make it easier by creating a filter mount like you have on a car. Would this cause any pressure/cooling/circulation problems that you could foresee? Having the OEM style is no big deal for me but as I have been putting this thing back together, I have been looking for ways to modify it to make it my own, as we all do.

Thanks.

Back