Oil Filter Modification

Brian902

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Just removed my lower sump plate to find my oil filter has already been torn up by the cold oil syndrome everyone sees after years of use.

It's a MikesXs model with what is supposed to be reinforced screening to prevent this very thing.

But mine has less than 2,000 miles of use and running 20-50w oil.

Question to the guru's here;

My second attachment is a representation of the filter, very poorly done, but should give you an idea of my train of thought.

Would a stand pipe like I've drawn on this open version of a filter, with the opening pointed toward the opposite end help to eliminate this issue.

Now you have to use your imagination to see this drawing as a sump oil filter with a solid top removed revealing the insides.

One end, the bottom would be open to the sump plate, the slit open to the opposite end of the filter and the top end of the stand pipe sealed against the filter top.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Sump Oil Filter.jpg
    Sump Oil Filter.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Oil Filter Stand Pipe..jpg
    Oil Filter Stand Pipe..jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 310
Just typing out loud here:)D).... enlarge the filter hole to accept the large end of a 1/8" aluminum street elbow, enlarge the street el holes with a drill, thread the sump plate accordingly, and tighten the elbow using locktite aiming it at the opposite side of filter.

You do not want to limit the opening for the oil to flow. The problem with the reinforcing, is the metal screen gets pushed away, far in enough that its no longer supporting so the filter breaks anyways. Plenty of people have found that blocking off a portion of the filter screen that is know to tear with a plate or jb weld can keep it from breaking. This does cut the surface area of the filter but not enough to cause problems.

Back