oil filter

Actually, you want to shield the whole right end of the filter from magnet to magnet. If you just patch and/or shield the side with the point that normally tears, it shifts the stress to the other side and that can eventually tear too. I found one of my patched filters had done this, torn again on the side opposite the patch. You can see it here in the middle, now patched again, lol .....

IWm8JzC.jpg

So, I've made up bolt-on sheet metal shields. I discovered, as you can see above, that the magnet location on the long straight side varies, hence the need for several templates .....

7rcCxFR.jpg

upIpy2L.jpg

v6DrM4y.jpg

I wanted the shield removable so I could inspect the screening underneath for tears. The shield doesn't seal 100% to the filter but hopefully it will limit the flow enough to keep the screen from tearing. Only time will tell I guess.

In the back of my mind was deflection. Ricochet. I'll do that. Make the cover surround that side. I'm not running a tach. I'll take the drive out. This might increase flow or pressure somehow

I must say that this is a very interesting thread (hydraulics are my "thang") - and I sure like the idea of better oil cleanliness for the XS650, but some of the solutions seem pretty fragile to me (the filter on the bottom sump plate of the engine for one). It is a clever design, very convenient for servicing and I'm sure that it works fine - unless you whack a chunk of rock on the road, or a piece of wood, or a pothole, or a curb....and then all of your oil will disappear within a few seconds. To each his/her own.

One good thing in our favour is that with very few exceptions, just about everything that rotates inside the XS650 engine is rolling on ball or roller bearings and these devices are tremendously tolerant of oil problems. They aren't immune to failure from dirty oil or no oil, but they are extremely tough and given the oil "filtration" scheme that MamaYama designed into these engines, that is a goooood thing.

I'll close by pointing out that the other key function of engine oil is to carry away heat and that is not nearly as much a function of oil cleanliness as the lubrication of closely fitted journal bearings (as found in most multicylinder Hondas for example). I certainly do not condone running any engine out of oil, but the biggest danger in allowing the oil level in an XS650 to drop too low is that the engine will not have an important means of rejecting heat. That is why I got one of dogbunnys thermometer dipsticks for each of my 650s.

Anyhow - keep on checking that oil folks - it is important for several reasons!

Pete
I wondered about that -- having scraped bottom more than once on my original XS 650s, I could see myself sheering off the filter. Can't remember ever having my original filters rip like that, but then, I was always in the habit of warming the bikes up before taking off. Sounds like that may have saved me.

Back