1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

oil filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inxs, Oct 17, 2009.

1. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    That should work.

JRay77 likes this.
  2. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Perfectly adequate.

JRay77 likes this.
  3. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Actually, you want to shield the whole right end of the filter from magnet to magnet. If you just patch and/or shield the side with the point that normally tears, it shifts the stress to the other side and that can eventually tear too. I found one of my patched filters had done this, torn again on the side opposite the patch. You can see it here in the middle, now patched again, lol .....

[​IMG]

So, I've made up bolt-on sheet metal shields. I discovered, as you can see above, that the magnet location on the long straight side varies, hence the need for several templates .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted the shield removable so I could inspect the screening underneath for tears. The shield doesn't seal 100% to the filter but hopefully it will limit the flow enough to keep the screen from tearing. Only time will tell I guess.

Mikey and JRay77 like this.
  4. JRay77

JRay77 XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

In the back of my mind was deflection. Ricochet. I'll do that. Make the cover surround that side. I'm not running a tach. I'll take the drive out. This might increase flow or pressure somehow