oil filter

So my local Yamaha dealer didn't have a filter and can order it to come in mid next week but I was hoping to get the oil changed this weekend is there a similar fram or |Honda or generic filter that is the same match as the OEM part number #25613441

So my local Yamaha dealer didn't have a filter and can order it to come in mid next week but I was hoping to get the oil changed this weekend is there a similar fram or |Honda or generic filter that is the same match as the OEM part number #25613441

I cannot verify the following but here is a list I found somewhere that someone claimed would interchange with the XS650. I hope others can verify or reject. I admit I'm a skeptic.

OEM #: 10-28401, 1L9-13440-91
84-85 FJ600, 86-88 FZ600, 88-91 FZR400 Genesis, 88-99 FZR400/600, 81-83 ZJ550 All, 84-92 XJ600, 80-83 XJ650 Maxim, 82-83 XJ650 Turbo, 81-82 XJ650L/R, 85-86 XJ700 Maxim, 81-83 XJ750 All, 83 XJ900R Seca, 78-82 XS250, 76-77 XS360, 82-83 XS400/R DOHC, 77-83 XS400/S SOHC

PS. The difference might be that you have to make your own gaskets.

Last edited:
It's not really a filter it's a screen unless it's damaged you clean it and reuse it. It could also be changed when you get the new one only a few tablespoons of oil live in there.

Anyone have any idea why no one has designed a paper filter to replace the OEM one on the clutch side? Seems making one that mimics the OEM but with paper screen would be damn good. No?

Anyone have any idea why no one has designed a paper filter to replace the OEM one on the clutch side? Seems making one that mimics the OEM but with paper screen would be damn good. No?

Until I started reading this thread I thought all the stock filters were paper. Turns out all I had ever seen was aftermarket paper filters.

The one that retiredgentleman referenced is it. Doesn't get any better than that. For a 30+ year bike they have tremendous aftermaket support be greatful.

The one that retiredgentleman referenced is it. Doesn't get any better than that. For a 30+ year bike they have tremendous aftermaket support be greatful.

Guys, please do not think I'm not grateful. retiredgentleman, please don't take offense. I was just wonder why no one had(or have) developed a filter made exactly like the stock filter but with a paper element in place of the brass mesh.
I've seen Mike's XS adapter unit. I was just wondering if there was a reason no one just designed a straight swap of the OEM filters.
:D

I'm with Greenbush It would be nice to have a replaceable paper filter under the stock cover. But there isn't a lot of room in there. Might be to easy to plug that small of a paper filter. scenario sump filter is torn front cam guide is coming apart, how long to plug a paper filter?

I'm with Greenbush It would be nice to have a replaceable paper filter under the stock cover. But there isn't a lot of room in there. Might be to easy to plug that small of a paper filter. scenario sump filter is torn front cam guide is coming apart, how long to plug a paper filter?

gggGary and Greenbush,
Look farther down the page at Part #15-6501 I think you will find what you're looking for has been around for a very long time.

gggGary and Greenbush,
Look farther down the page at Part #15-6501 I think you will find what you're looking for has been around for a very long time.
Sorry #15-6501 is a screen.

15-6501.jpg

NOW IN STOCK! Oil Filter Screen - Fits in RH engine side cover (Clutch side) - Made in Japan - Fits: All 1970-84 XS/TX650's OEM Ref.# 256-13441-00
OEM Reference #
- 256-13441-00

Part #15-6501
$9.00 USD Ea

I think some Japanese filter brand had a direct replacement paper filter at one time.
Kinda related, some Lycoming aircraft piston engines came with an oil screen, if you changed to a remote paper filter the recommended oil change interval goes from 25 hours to 50 hours.

Sorry #15-6501 is a screen.

15-6501.jpg

NOW IN STOCK! Oil Filter Screen - Fits in RH engine side cover (Clutch side) - Made in Japan - Fits: All 1970-84 XS/TX650's OEM Ref.# 256-13441-00
OEM Reference #
- 256-13441-00

Part #15-6501
$9.00 USD Ea

I think some Japanese filter brand had a direct replacement paper filter at one time.
Kinda related, some Lycoming aircraft piston engines came with an oil screen, if you changed to a remote paper filter the recommended oil change interval goes from 25 hours to 50 hours.

Oh, I thought that was paper. I have pulled some old paper filters out. I have no idea where they came from or how old they might have been.

I'm currently using the in the case spin on from MMM on one XS and the finned one that MikesXS sells on another. Both seem to work well.

I think if the demand were higher, like selling a few million a year they might make them.
It was easier to build an adapter that used an already existing paper filter. Like the Honda filter used in the one Mike's sells or the spin on that MMM sells.
You can even build adapters on the right side covers to use an external oil filter. You can even install an oil cooler inline with the oil filter.
Leo

After taking out the sump filter to fix some seepage around the plate, I noticed the pushed in screen area you some of you guys were talking about. Now, I live in Sunny Los Angeles, can't imagine what damage colder area cold starts do to screens if it happens here in this warm climate.
So, decided to make a shield, kinda like some posted on here. Now, the final is a but smoother around the edges. It's aluminum flashing material for home heating vents.

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

Back