Oil help.....

killabsk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Gday guys, new on this site! love it aswell...

just finished my build and am need of a oil change! Trying to find the best oil for my ride, i'm reading a few people saying deisel oil, if so what weight?? or any other suggestions would be great...

Last edited:
Shell Rotella 15w40 is the diesel oil to run. I've ran it for years. Make sure you check/clean the sump and side filter. P.s.- don't be surprised if this turns into an oil debate... And welcome aboard.

Rotella T 15W40 is a good choice (JASO MA certified for wet clutches)
If you are staying on the bargain side of things and doing frequent changes, the widely available Valvoline MC 20W50 would be a good choice as well, and priced about the same as the Rotella when purchased by the quart.
Synthetic is hands down Mobil 1 territory to me, but given the screen only filtering system of the XS, frequent changes and good mineral based oil make better sense than extended drain intervals and synthetic oil.
Not to bash or dismiss other oils, because there are a lot of good ones out there, just one guy's observations, and my name is not Bob, and I don't work for an oil company. Mine has Valvoline in it at the moment, Rotella in the Road Star, and Mobil 1 in the SV.
$0.02

Another one for shell rotella. Great oil. I run it in my boats cars quads, bikes.

Thanks heaps everyone, as I'm in Australia I don't think I can get rotella, is there a Australian brand similar if anyone knows?

Anything that does not have friction modifiers. Rotella has a higher zinc level which is good for engines. A lot of diesel oils should work as they are slightly differentthen gas oils, detergent make ups ect. It just works well in these or any air cooled engines.

I have this unfounded theory, partially unfounded anyway, that the motor oil outfits put the new graduates on motorcycle specific oils. Because there is less of an impact on the company. I want an old guy who's been around working out my oil... The main reason I use auto oil is easy availability though.

I've been using Yamalube forever. 147,000 miles on my FJ1200 (20w50) and the engine has never been apart with the original clutch.

Back