Oil leak @ cam cover

Geers

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I seem to have a small leak around the left cam cover. The leak seems to be coming from the lower portion of the cover just above the spark plug. Is this something normal that I could just fix with a little yamahbond. Or should I really not have a leak at this point. The engine is a 78 off a fresh re build. Prob 500 miles on it.

So I seem to have a small leak around the left cam cover. The leak seems to be coming from the lower portion of the cover just above the spark plug. Is this something normal that I could just fix with a little yamahbond. Or should I really not have a leak at this point. The engine is a 78 off a fresh re build. Prob 500 miles on it.

If the recent rebuild was done correctly, then there should not be any leakage.

You can see in my pic there is a gasket, an O-ring, and an oil seal. When the camshaft was installed, its important that the camshaft was centred, and that the 2 bearings on each end were snugged up fully inboard as far as possible. If the bearings were not pushed fully inward, or if an equal space was not left at both end of the camshaft, then there might not be enough space left for the oil seal to seal on.

Its also important that the oil seal is installed as far inboard on the aluminum casting as possible. Again, this is because there is very little axial space for the oil seal to do its job.

Maybe the camshaft surface was not cleaned very well, and needs to be cleaned up to allow the oil seal to work properly.

You could remove both aluminum castings and measure if you have an equal amount of camshaft protruding. Measure if there is enough shaft protruding as compared to the position of the oil seal lips. Clean the shaft ends if required.

Attachments

• Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,395
I've been having a leak in the very same spot, exactly like you describe.

I tried going in once already and making sure everything was clean, etc, but I'm still leaking.

I recall pushing the cam bearings alllll the way in when I did the installation, but perhaps I need to go in there one more time and do EVERYTHING again. Tap the bearings in, tap the oil seal, and clean the o-ring and gasket.

will report back...

Yep, RetiredGentleman is correct. Pop the timing covers back off and check you have the gaskets plus o rings in good nick along with nice, clean, smooth mating surfaces, then, pop back together - a little sealing agent wouldnt hurt

First, you'll want to determine exactly what's leaking. If you remove the chrome cover, is there oil inside the housing? If so, then the seal is leaking. If dry inside but oil is coming out from behind the housing then it's the gasket and/or the o-ring. I use no sealer, I just oil the gasket with motor oil.

Yes my leak is coming from the very outer cover. When I pulled the cover off there was a vary small amount of oil inside the housing. The gasket area look good and dry. I'm going to purchase all new seals and gaskets and re assemble the cover housings.

Geers, you're leaking at the camshaft seal.

I am paranoid about leaks. My motor is tight as a drum save for that left goddamned breaker cover. Pulled it, new gasket, installed new camshaft seals, still leaks.

I even tried loosening the rocker box cover to tap the cam over a bit, but it was centered so I decided against it.

I've gotten over it. Pain in the ass pulling ignition components and resetting timing. When I need to get in there for something else I'll fix it, again. Maybe play with the orientation of the seal in the housing.

I wonder how much of this can be avoided with low hardtails leaning wayyyy over on short sidestands....

If I put it back together and it still leaks it's getting rtv. I think of the leak as xs 650s don't leak oil, they just leave their mark! Lol

Ok pulled it apart today. Looking like when I installed the seal it was sitting in the housing with one end slightly above the surface that mates to the head. I think this is where my problem lies. How far down should the seal sit into the housing? Or should it protrude slightly? I was going to pull off the other side but I don't need another leak so I left it alone. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Wait I just looked at the pics posted above my seal is not in the housing that way. Mine has the flat surface of the seal against the head. That shot looks like the flat surface is inside the housing. Which one is correct?

the seal should be pushed back as far as it will go.

blackbetty, i feel ya man. I burnt my clutch out so I'm doing some major work this week and I will get to the cam cover as well.

Yeah I'm a dumb ass. My seal was put in facing the wrong way. Now I just need to check the other side and see if it's the same as the other. But what if it is? And it's not leaking? Will post back with more info.

If the other one is backwards flip it around in the housing so it's right. The seals are easy enough to pop out. Use a bit of grease when you reinstall.

Flipped the seal tonight and went out for a good ride. No leaks! I feel retarded about putting that in wrong but hey I'm learning. Thanks again everyone

Here's a question: I have the same leak on my engine's right side. I'm looking at the fiche (I have a 1979 2F) and it looks like there's only an o-ring and gasket there behind the cover, no oil seal. Am I nuts? Did it change from year to year?

Dave

The housings, yes, but what about the oil seal? I know there's a difference on the tappet covers for example. Some have gaskets, some have o-rings. Seems like they'd ALL need oil seals at the cam shaft cover, but the fiche doesn't seem to have it.

Dave

Back