Oil leak @ cam cover

The housings, yes, but what about the oil seal? I know there's a difference on the tappet covers for example. Some have gaskets, some have o-rings. Seems like they'd ALL need oil seals at the cam shaft cover, but the fiche doesn't seem to have it.

Dave

If you have a rotating shaft with oil splashing around inside, you must have an oil-seal.

Well, finally got to service my leaky side cover and I think I licked it for good this time!

I found a bunch of Yamahbond on the mating surface and stuck to the gasket and I'm pretty sure this was creating the leak. Cleaned it up, made sure the oil seals and bearings were seated, and reinstalled everything. Took a 2hr trip in 100+degree weather and no leaks!

I replaced the oil seal and it's all good. Then I replaced my tappet covers with non-crappy ones, and they're leaking like hell, lol. Even with the new o-rings. I may have to go o-rings AND gaskets on those. Sigh.

D

I pulled off my left side breaker housing to fix the leak.

Worked for 5 days, leak free.

I was tuning on it yesterday and noticed the leak is back.

It's in-fucking-furiating. I nearly took a shit on the ground for good measure.

I'm going to get a new cover on ebay. I'm already on my 2nd set of replacement seals.

I'm getting ready to pull my left side breaker housing to fix a leak. One thing I haven't found in the forums is will I have to redo my ignition timing after pulling everything to get to the gasket and O-ring. New at this...need to learn cause I"m not rich!

!975 yamaha xs 650

i have the same leak. been going on for a while now. plus i have the side pipes that are wrapped. so they love to get oil on them and smoke.
but, looking at it, the three bolts behind the timing plate, holding the assembly on are super stripped out. so i gotta figure out how to get them out. this isnt going to be fun. half tempted to leave it as is

I dont give advise here very often as there are many on here that know way more than I BUT on this issue I have had problems
and finally came up with a solution that permanently solved the leaks. The seals have a spring clamp inside.What I did was add
an additional spring clamp (same one from another seal) in behind the original.There is a grove or ridge I guess that will support and hold
the extra spring and give extra pressure on the cam shaft.Ive never had problems with the spring popping off or getting it on the shaft but
it made the seal work better. Yes I had the seals the correct way, the large o-ring in place,the paper gasket in place, bolts torqued evenly and it would still leak.
Had it apart more times than I care to mention, plus many new seals ect ect. The double springs inside did the job.Infact it fit so well
in behind the other spring (not side by side) that it (the seal) should have come that way from the start. Worth noting is I did have the bearings and the cam centered.

Back