Oil Leak- Need Some Help !! PICS INSIDE

Hairyblackdude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Team,

Ive put about 250miles on the bike in the last few weeks after finishing a build.

Runs great, However- Ive been noticing a small oil trail running down the left engine case after a good ride & Im having some issues pin pointing it.

I can trace it up to the 1st 3-4 engine fins, but then it gets lost..

I kinda have a feeling its coming from underneath the center chrome cover on the top of the engine in the middle (cam cover?), trickling down thru the spark plug space in the head & running down the cylinder fins.

When I took the small (cam?) cover off, you can see a little oil pooling in there.. The flange is notched at the bottom, so it can just run right out... Looks like theres a space around the spark plug which may let oil go down to the lower fins..?

What this gasket/seal called? Is it replaceable without breaking down the motor?

The pic below shows the seal I am inquiring about under the cover..
OilPooling.jpg

This pic shows the oil trail with red arrows, the green arrows where its pooling..
OilRundown.jpg

Any information is appreciated !!

That seal is were the wires would come out if your bike had points or pamco. I'm assuming your bike has a tci ignition? My bike had a similar leak and I found out my tappet covers were loose, although it was NOT pooling up under the points cover.

That seal is were the wires would come out if your bike had points or pamco. I'm assuming your bike has a tci ignition? My bike had a similar leak and I found out my tappet covers were loose, although it was NOT pooling up under the points cover.

Yep... what you see is what I got.. I only pulled the cover & took a pic.

That seal seals around the end of the spinning cam. That rusty stub in your pic is the end of the cam. I'm not surprised it leaks, lol. Remove the 3 Phillips screws inside that little housing and it will pull off the side of the motor. There is a gasket and o-ring behind it that seals the cover to the head. You usually need to replace them as well if you pull that housing. They won't cause leaks inside the housing, just on the outside between it and the head. You need to replace the seal. Get a Scotchbrite pad and buff that cam end clean so the new seal can do it's job.

Replacement is easy. Find a socket slightly smaller than the seal O.D. Place it on the backside against the seal and put the socket and housing in a vice. Slowly tighten the vice and press the old seal into and out of the housing. Place the new seal against the back of the housing, put it all in the vice again (no socket this time), and press the new seal in. Just make it flush with the housing's backside. I pad the back of the seal and front of the housing with thin pieces of plywood while in the vice.

Good advice from 5twins, and here's a picture that shows the gasket, the o-ring, and the oil seal. I used some 3bond 1104 for the oil seal...............you can see the grey coloured stuff in the pic.

Attachments

• Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 263
i have the same leak, its gonna wait till i have more cash to get some other things. i know its part of the game but i hate spending 9 bucks for shipping on a 17 dollar part.

I might buy these parts preemptively, as mine weeps just the tiiiiiiniest bit at present. But this thread should have a permanent place in Tech, methinks. Parts and procedure are the same on both sides of the cam, right (other than removing the points/PAMCO and/or ATU)?

TC

Yes, procedure is the same for either side. The two housings are actually the same part and interchangeable. If you have just a slight weep, you could try just the buffing of the shaft with the Scotchbrite pad. Sometimes that will cure a minor seep without seal replacement.

hey guys! can someone point me in the direction of this seal and o-ring on mikesxs? I cant seem to find them, and I also have a tiny weep at this point (bike on sidestand all the time)

is it a camshaft seal?
what about the gasket, and o-ring?

Yes, it is the camshaft seal, but don't get them from Mike's. The ones they sell are too thick (7mm) and often leak because you can't seat them in deep enough. They're also expensive. This seal is much cheaper and better from Yamaha. The current Yamaha version is only 5mm thick so it seats in deeper and gets more "purchase" on the end of the camshaft. The only thing I can recommend from Mike's is the gaskets for behind the housings, they sell them cheaper. I don't see the o-rings listed so getting them from Yamaha may be your only option. But, you may not need them if the originals are still in good shape. I've re-used good originals with success.

Back