Oil leak on Kick starter side

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Have a small oil leak on the Kick starter side of the bike that seems to come out when I am riding. If I let the thing sit on the stand in the shop nothing. Since it's a little hard to hang over the side of the bike while riding to try and track the leak down I thought I'd check the torque on the side covers. Is it suppose to be 5 - 8 ft/lbs ?

Any other obvious spots I should look for the leak? Seems to be flowing backwards with the wind and onto my exhaust :-(

Besides from around the edges of the cover (obviously), you can get leaks from the tach drive, the little oil filter cover, or the kick start shaft.

Of course sitting in the shop running it doesn't leak at all but if I take it out for a ride there is oil sprayed all down the last 1/3 of the cover. I think maybe it's coming from the kick start shaft. Would that make sense that it leaks more whenim riding but nothing tipped over leaning towards the kick stand?

If you have taken the rightside cover off recently did you spot that important washer that is on the kickstart shaft behind the cover. The oil makes it stick to the case and become almost invisible - then drops off, innoticed.

Alternatively, a couple of the case bolts require spring washers - are they present.

Anlaf

Haven't had the rightside off lately but I think it may have been leaking a bit last year as well. Just not very noticeable. I wrapped a rag around the shaft and will see if the next ride out it leaks as bad orifice there is oil on the inside of the rag. Which bolts are suppose to have lock washers?

They're not lock washers, they're copper sealing washers and should be on the 4 lowest case screws, the ones below the oil level .....

MqCsdcL.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that diagram, 5twins. I have just replaced my casing bolts with a new set, and the diagram that came with it showed only two scews with washers (spring), bottom right, and the second in from the bottom left. I will add four sealing washers.

Hotrdd, you might be able to see if you have washers. Copper sealing washers make absolute sense, and if you don't have them your engine is not sealed.

Anlaf

Anlaf

Oil is sneaky stuff I wouldn't be surprised if the leak is from a head or cylinder gasket or seal. Where does your crankcase vent go to?

On the strength of what 5twins said, I got myself some copper washers today for the casing - AND for the banjo bolts holding the oil tubes on the head - I put the old ones back, torqued up and notice oil from the banjos and from the rightside case. SOLUTION copper washers - and don't reuse the washers (they crush but do not bounce back, the stay crushed). RESULT oil leaks gone.

You learn something new everyday.

Anlaf

I usually re-use my copper washers if they're not too badly mangled but I anneal them 1st.

On Sunday night I decided to put a long piece of paper towel around the kick starter shaft to see if the oil was coming from out of there. Unfortunately on my way home I hit a HUGE rain storm and it was impossible to tell anything. Last night I replaced it with a clean rag and a zip tie. I definitely don’t have all of the copper washers so I may need to order some or go to my local hardware store and see if I can find some. I would definitely say that the oil is coming from the last ½ of the case though as the front is completely dry. It’s not a HUGE deal but it’s dripping on my pipes and making a mess of my garage floor 

Well I think I have it sorted down to the kick starter leaking. I wrapped some rags around the kick start shaft and that seems to have cleaned things up. On top of ordering some copper washers as well what do I need on the inside of that cover to seal this thing up?

There is a large washer that slides onto the kickstart shaft and sits behind the seal when the right-hand cover is on, but following 5twins and the results of my addition of copper washers no leaks for me (and that includes some from the kickstart).

By the way, 5twins, I can't do annealing, what with my knee beeing the way it is, and surgery coming up (ha ha!).

Anlaf

Back