oil leak

pahako

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has had oil leak when the engine is hot from what appears to be the bolt just in front of the dip stick? Thought maybe it was coming from the dip stick, so I put a new rubber seal on it because the old one looked worn out, but that didn't fix it, and the oil seems to be coming from the bolt with the #6 on it. Tried tightening it up to no avail, and even took it out and used gasket sealer around it but still leaking. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to fix it. It's an 81 special. Thanks

Could there be a thin wicking of oil originating from the cylinder base, or tensioner, and collecting at that bolt?
Its possible. I'll have to look closely again. The gasket is new and has been retorqued a couple of times. I haven't seen any oil around the tensioner or the base if the heads. Time to get out a magnifying glass.

while your at it Re torque the head....
there is a real good chance you could get one of those small copper washers for under the bolt head that will seal up the leak....
on my bike the 2 long front side cover bolts have such a washer.... putting another one of these under the head of the leaking bolt should seal it up for you.
although it should not be leaking at all , I suspect you put the gasket on DRY and didn't use the sprey copper coat gasket sealant
pulling the cover off and cleaning the gasket with solvent or carb cleaner will get the oil off of it and then sprey the gasket with copper coat sprey and re install....( clean the engine and side cover as well ), i would coat both sides with 2 coats.... and your leaking problems should be cured.
Bob........

Back