Oil leaks after top end rebuild

Oprahands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello. I had just done a top end rebuild to replace a bad cam chain tensioner and now i have oil leaking from the mating surface of the head and jugs. I have torqued everything down to spec 3 separate times with all new washers and cant get it to go away. Any idea why this is happening and if I could fix it without tearing it apart again? Thanks

I assume you torqued it down with the correct torque pattern. Did you put any type of silicone between the head mating surface? If those two are good, maybe the o-rings for the valve covers need replaced. You may be able to get away with flipping them. Next would be the ignition covers gaskets and camshaft O-rings and the on the back of the plate.

Yes i used yamabond on all mating surfaces and used the correct torque pattern.it doesnt seem to be from any of the covers or from the cam shaft. It looks like its seeping out from around the head gasket but its brand new and also has yamabond

Did you also tighten (properly torque) the two bolts under the spark plugs, one on each side? They're part of the head bolt pattern.

Check and make sure your locating pins are not bottoming out and preventing the jugs and head from sealing.

Check and make sure your locating pins are not bottoming out and preventing the jugs and head from sealing.

He can't check that without redoing the entire job.

Mine leaked a little oil for a couple hundred miles but is good now after a couple retorques.

Back