Oil level and oil consumption.

I seem to remember the production models which were distributed also had bearing issues which cut engine life and that's why Mazda went for a conventional engine design as the rotary engine was not popular.
Mazda actually never gave up on the Wankel, they just put the development of the rotary engine on the back burner for awhile. Rumor has it that they will release the RX-9 in 2020 with a rotary.
upload_2018-11-12_11-57-16.jpeg

When/if it shows up, I will be in line to check it out.
In the meantime, I go on searching for another '88 10th Anniversary Special Turbo like the one I had in the 1990's.
rx7_0002.small.jpg

I actually saw a mint example this year up in Oswego. I nearly pissed my pants.

I seem to remember the production models which were distributed also had bearing issues which cut engine life and that's why Mazda went for a conventional engine design as the rotary engine was not popular.

Hi Goldenboy,
the story I heard was that the Wankel's Mazda version burned enough of it's engine oil that it couldn't meet the EPA numbers.
Which brings us right back to this string's original topic.

Hi Goldenboy,
the story I heard was that the Wankel's Mazda version burned enough of it's engine oil that it couldn't meet the EPA numbers.
Which brings us right back to this string's original topic.
During a discussion on the rotary design, it was mentioned that the optimal design was for spherical engine, which would be close to frictionless. I"m not sure how the design could be implemented. And how it could actually drive anything, is beyond me. If someone could figure that out, they would become a gleaming ball of pure intelect.:cool:

Last edited:
I worked on one once in the 70's. It was in a Mazda station wagon. I seem to recall either 2 sets of points or 2 distributors. It was a smooth running little car. You know, "Other cars go boink, boink, boink, but the Mazda goes hhhhmmmmmmmm!"
Working for A&P engineering, I dealt with a company that said they owned the rights to the wankel. Rotary Power, Inc., I think. Their main office was in the old Curtiss Wright building in Garfield, NJ I think. They sold us a small natural gas powered Wankel to spin a screw compressor to keep the ice cream cases and freezer going during black outs and load shedding.
But the coolest thing about them was that they could stack multiple rotors to enlarge the displacement. They also put them in boats and amphibious army vehicles.
The Curtiss Wright building was built, late 30's or early 40's and of course built planes and all types of army stuff. The floors were 4"x4" posts standing upright in the ground. You could drive a tank on it, but still hardened gears wouldn't dent or break when dropped. Our fathers were smart. I don't get out to see neat technology anymore.

How to beat the Winter Blues if you live up north?
Take the pilgrimage to the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY.

Keuka-231.jpg

....which is filled with his airplanes, engines, and motorcycles.
Each year, as I've reported previously, there is a Wintertherapy motorcycle event. You can show your XS650!

jenny_in_museum.jpg
upload_2018-11-13_12-31-1.jpeg

img_0714.jpg

S11HAbHE0TdMK7a29-cCFlkIdrTEAR0kt5GMXznoALPmgyRHiZ.jpg
wRNRPgKqbkZ_jpQ1nbdscsweALo4_w_AjbUsFhuxit0Nh5c29g.jpg
images

PcvOxGx1hCBVGW6IIRVqpLYdHjf-tVAXExcvDICnDysb7mut0g.jpg

DSC03053-1024x683.jpg

Attachments

• S11HAbHE0TdMK7a29-cCFlkIdrTEAR0kt5GMXznoALPmgyRHiZ.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • jenny_in_museum.jpg
    jenny_in_museum.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
I worked on one once in the 70's. It was in a Mazda station wagon. I seem to recall either 2 sets of points or 2 distributors. It was a smooth running little car. You know, "Other cars go boink, boink, boink, but the Mazda goes hhhhmmmmmmmm!"
Working for A&P engineering, I dealt with a company that said they owned the rights to the wankel. Rotary Power, Inc., I think. Their main office was in the old Curtiss Wright building in Garfield, NJ I think. They sold us a small natural gas powered Wankel to spin a screw compressor to keep the ice cream cases and freezer going during black outs and load shedding.
But the coolest thing about them was that they could stack multiple rotors to enlarge the displacement. They also put them in boats and amphibious army vehicles.
The Curtiss Wright building was built, late 30's or early 40's and of course built planes and all types of army stuff. The floors were 4"x4" posts standing upright in the ground. You could drive a tank on it, but still hardened gears wouldn't dent or break when dropped. Our fathers were smart. I don't get out to see neat technology anymore.
Multiple rotors, that's cool! You could make a battle bot out of one of those engine.

I tuned up a few of them. They had 2 distributors one with 2 sets of points, 1 with 1 set of points and a total of 4 condensers. I do not remember what the 4th condenser was for.
My dad sold Arctic Cat snowmobiles from the 60s to 80s. At one time you could get a Wankel in them. Very smooth running engine. No vibration Only problem was performance. I think they only went 53 MPH. One up, two up, deep snow, glare ice, up or down hill or drop it out of an airplane. 53 was it.

How to beat the Winter Blues if you live up north?
Take the pilgrimage to the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY.

Keuka-231.jpg

....which is filled with his airplanes, engines, and motorcycles.
Each year, as I've reported previously, there is a Wintertherapy motorcycle event. You can show your XS650!

jenny_in_museum.jpg
View attachment 129542
img_0714.jpg

wRNRPgKqbkZ_jpQ1nbdscsweALo4_w_AjbUsFhuxit0Nh5c29g.jpg
images

PcvOxGx1hCBVGW6IIRVqpLYdHjf-tVAXExcvDICnDysb7mut0g.jpg

DSC03053-1024x683.jpg

Attachments

• S11HAbHE0TdMK7a29-cCFlkIdrTEAR0kt5GMXznoALPmgyRHiZ.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • jenny_in_museum.jpg
    jenny_in_museum.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1
Herding the cats....
Just changed oil in resto-mod at 2800 miles. I think she will be my victim for the upcoming trip. I had Valvoline VR1 20-50 on the shelf and that's been my XS pour of choice lately so that's what went in (again). Oil was dark, as you'd expect at 2800 miles, no sparkles. Didn't open the sump, side filter was very clean, the usual amount of black goo on the magnets, one small chunk of silver. I'm sticking with lower mark on the stick as the fill to. This motor has about 25,000 miles on it, it's never been opened past valve covers and sump filter. Both sides above 150PSI. It gets regular at the pump and has a Pamco with (I think) mech advance. Stock carbs, air boxes w UNI foam filters, stock exhaust. Jets bumped a bit. plugs look good, light tan, 50 MPG is pretty normal.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with lower mark on the stick as the fill to. This motor has about 25,000 miles on it, it's never been opened past valve covers and sump filter. Both sides above 150PSI. It gets regular at the pump and has a Pamco with (I think) mech advance. Stock carbs, air boxes w UNI foam filters, stock exhaust. Jets bumped a bit.
Dip stick check while on its tires, or centerstand?
Sounds like a very healthy stock XS650

View attachment 187025 Hey, this BudLite can threads into the oil fill hole perfectly. No funnels flopping around anymore. Just changed my oil about 2000 miles with Castrol Actevo 20w-50 and Rislone zinc additive.
Cool hack!
But who am I going to find to drink that um... beer?

Yeah mostly on the wheels but I think the manual sez centerstand. :rolleyes:

Back