Oil level cold vs warm

Robert Reed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright, probably a silly question but has anybody taken note of how their oil level reads when cold vs warm?

I know the Yamaha recommendation is to warm the bike up and check with the bike level and the cap unscrewed.

I check mine every time before starting it and have always figured if it was Midway or above then it should be good to go (stupid me). I realize that when the bike is running the oil will be circulating and therefore the level will drop. I was surprised today when I checked my level cold and then again after warming it up.

It was Midway between the low and high level marks when cold but actually below the low level mark when warm.

Well, when you check it warm, you have to let the bike sit a few minutes after shutting it down so the oil has a chance to drain back down into the bottom. It's just been splashed and spread all around while running, up into the topend, all over the clutch, etc. I don't think I've noticed much difference between hot and cold checks, but I'm going mostly be the oil sight window. I expect to see it a bit low right after shutting the bike off. Honestly, since I installed that sight glass cover, I rarely use the stick anymore. I love that thing, lol.

Well, when you check it warm, you have to let the bike sit a few minutes after shutting it down so the oil has a chance to drain back down into the bottom. It's just been splashed and spread all around while running, up into the topend, all over the clutch, etc. I don't think I've noticed much difference between hot and cold checks, but I'm going mostly be the oil sight window. I expect to see it a bit low right after shutting the bike off. Honestly, since I installed that sight glass cover, I rarely use the stick anymore. I love that thing, lol.

I guess I thought that since they tell us to check it warm then your supposed to do it right after you shut it down.

If you wait for it to settle isn't it the same thing as checking it cold?

look at it this way. When doing an oil change the new oil is cold so that would be the level for the engine. After running it hot then check the oil level till it matches the level after the oil change.............

- - - I'm going mostly be the oil sight window. I expect to see it a bit low right after shutting the bike off. Honestly, since I installed that sight glass cover, I rarely use the stick anymore. I love that thing, lol.

Hi 5twins,
peering through that oily porthole may be OK for a solo bike but us sidecar guys can't get in there to look so call me Mr Dipstick.
Mind you, the XS11 ain't got no dipstick because there's moving parts under the fill hole that'd gnaw at it.
Had to use a mirror on a telescoping stalk to check my XS11 rig's little sight glass until I straightened out a 4" hose clamp
to make a Tee-shaped "only use when engine is stopped" dipstick to carry on the sidecar's dashboard.

Back