Oil Prefrence?

I use the 15w40 when it's cooler out, like below 60-65. When above that I run a 20w50 oil.

I just picked up two quarts of Rotella T which I believe is a 15W-40 diesel mix. I finally after much research decided on it for a few reasons:

1) It's cheap. I paid $2.97 a quart.
2) It's available damn near everywhere. I grabbed these at Wal-Mart.
3) It has the necessary Zinc to keep the internals safe. At least 1100 ZDDP.

HTH,
Logan

I purchased Yamalube and my ass still hurts. That stuff is pricey. I will be picking up some diesel oil to run for a while until I am sure I won't be draining the oil to do any more work on the bike. I just purchased the bike, so I am having to do a lot of much needed maintenance.
I have been running diesel oils in my aircooled VW's for a little while now, so figure I will try it in the bikes as well.

Not to derail the thread here, but since we are talking oils, does anyone have any recommendations on a sump filter? I heard some of the sump filters from Mikesxs are poor quality, but don't know where else to purchase one from.

extra virgin

- always found that rather stressful :bike: but when, make sure its soft pressed and not ground :smoke:

- seriously tho,
anyone have any recommendations on a sump filter? I heard some of the sump filters from Mikesxs are poor quality, but don't know where else to purchase one from.
-if using these filters best to check before installing-ive had bad ones delivered and found the back-up service to be shit-just my personal experiences-remember theyre not filters but sieves, use a fine particle filter in the post pump filter...eg

filterjerry3.jpg

There is a certain myth about using Diesel oil in a motorcycle because of its higher ZDDP content.

The main characteristic of Diesel oil is it's very high detergent content which is necessary because Diesel engines produce a lot of soot that ends up in the crankcase. The detergent suspends this soot in the oil rather than having it collect on the bearing surfaces of the engine so it is washed out when the oil is changed.

Chemically, the detergent works on the metal surfaces of the engine. ZDDP also works on the surfaces of the engine, so there is a "competition" going on for the surfaces of the engine between ZDDP and the detergent. The end result is that the effectiveness of the ZDDP is lessened. That is why Diesel has a high ZDDP content in the first place, but the end result is the same as an oil with less ZDDP and no or less detergent, and motorcycle engines, just like all gasoline engines, do not require a lot of detergent.

ive been running rotella t-6 in my 2003 suzuki marauder. nice smooth shifting. the diesel oil has a high shear rate, so our transmisions and clutches work smoother and the oil last longer.
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/t6_detail.html
here is rotellas' site. although they are pushing their own product, most of it makes sense. delo400e is the next step on the shear chart. I plan on using it in my yamaha soon. I have yamalube in it now and ouch, abit pricey I just ran it for the first time, and plan on draining soon, plus the re-torque.

I've been using Penzoil 20w-50 in summer and 15w-40 in winter because it was impossible for me to kick start it with the heavier oil in winter. I ride to about 20F (at in town speeds), below that I just stay home :) I don't think 15w-40 is thick enough above about 65F.

http://www.dansmc.com/oilspec1.gif

Back