Oil Question

BigGeorge

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if synthetic oil has a certain shelf life after the container has been opened? I have several quarts of Amsoil 15w 40 and 20w 50 that are anywhere from 1/2to 3/4 full. They been on the shelf for about 2 years. I know that conventional dino oil does have a specific shelf life so I am just curious about the synthetic stuff. If it wasnt so expensive I'd just use it in my squirt oil cans to lube door hinges and such.......... BG

- as far as im aware shelf life on sealed motor oil is twice that of non-synthetic, the point of synthetics is that they dont break-down, even if the container was not sealed it should still be fine, condensation would be an issue with numerous heating and cooling cycles such as in an engine not stored in a garage...the oil container will deform a bit to compensate for cooling and heating contraction and expansion, its not sucking in any air so no moisture can get in, mineral oil is stable to 425 degrees F, synthetic to over 500 F...the only issue is the SAE rating, they keep improving the additive packages all the time

- mobiloil marketing want you, of course, to buy-buy-buy

- from motul...Motul is ISO 9001 certified and according to our quality procedure, Motul products are guaranteed for 2 years after the production date. To be sure, we keep one sample of each produced batch and check it from time to time during 2 years. After 2 years we have no experience therefore we cannot guarantee our products.

- from castrol..."Unfortunately, the shelf life of Castrol Syntec 5w-50 is 5 years, so we would not recommend using the product."
Thank you for contacting Castrol, The Technology Leader!
Andrea Roche
Castrol Consumer Relations
1-800-462-0835
Castrol@Idea-Factor.com

Thanks inxs. My bikes and my oil are kept in a heated garage 65-75 degrees year round. The heat is in the concrete floor so no problem with condensation from rapid temp changes but just to be safe maybe I'll use the oil in my tractor.........BG

Attachments

• streamimage.php.jpg
    streamimage.php.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 204
Back