Oil seals you can change w/o split

pawthrick

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post.
I'm Patrik from Sweden, totally obsessed with the xs since about two years.
Got an ongoing -81 tracker project and a nearly done -72 chop.

Question:
Aside from the clutch pushrod seal, can I change any other seals without having to split the engine?

My camshaft seal on ATU-side seems to bee totally busted.
Do I need to do a major operation to replace it, or will I be able to replace it without taking the head cover off?

Cant wait to test the old chopper...

Best regards
Patrik

- these are for the crank and gearbox..change out without splitting the case

Scc.jpg

- these are for the above and the clutch pushrod...change out initially with split cases, later without

Soc.jpg

- these are available from lance stewart at bbillroy@bigpond.net.au -and allow you to use standard seals rather than the yamaha specific ones

- camshaft seals can also be relatively easily replaced-sit in the removeable covers

Hello and welcome!

I had written an article on the old forum on how to replace a crank seal in situ; it can be done if you get a seal with a "ramped" retainer lip from Mike's XS. I'll have to look for the article as it was on 650rider.com.

TC

i'm curious too... Can i change out the front sprocket shaft seal("countershaft oil seal") without splitting the cases?

You can change the pushrod seal with-out splitting the case, mine was easy. Just dremil the burr smooth and grease the seal. Goes in firm and stays, got 800 miles on mine with no leaks.

i'm curious too... Can i change out the front sprocket shaft seal("countershaft oil seal") without splitting the cases?

Yup... same principle as the others; I had to replace my CS seal and my crank seal. Make sure you lightly de-bur. Personally, I'd advise against using any power tool on that edge.

Thanks for all the responses!

Yesterday I had the time to get to the garage and change the seal. I chamfered the hole and pushed the seal in by hand. I think it went in ok, took a 10 minute ride, and there was no lekage at the pushrod.
I imagine I will have to check up on it after a longer tour.

Next problem...
Started to remove the left hand engine case to check up on the clutch pushrod seal, I could see stains on the floor as i dismantle the shift lever.
Pushrod seal - dry. So I think countershaft seal...
Countershaft seal - dry. I think :yikes: crankshaft! :banghead:

Countershaft seems to be dry...:confused:

Question:
- Is it safe to start the engine with the left hand side cover off? I mean, it won't spit my pushrod and pushrod ball bearing out or something...
If I can start the engine with side cover off I don't think there will be any problems locating the leakage.

- Is there something else I can check up in this region? Is there som bolt that can leak? Anything? I fear that the leakage comes from between the engine cases or camshaft...:mad:

Side note:
It's a 72' chopper bored I recently bought in parts (Only the bike was in parts, not engine), assembled tank, saddle, hooked up a temporary electrical system and started to test. Got it started. Even got hold of the previous owners previous owner. (The PO's PO :shrug:). He says the engine was recently restorated by him. And the PO never started it. He also told me that it's bored to 750cc and originally built for sidecar racing. That explains the Dell'Orto PHF 36.
I haven't verified his story about the restoration, but this leakage gets me thinking...

Time to sleep, will spend this week end in the garage :thumbsup:

/patrik

Shift shaft seal. Have to pull right side cover and clutch to remove shift shaft to fix seal. If not bad I'd ride it.

Back