Ok, dumb question. Throttle sticking...

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just got my first bike. 83 xs650.
The throttle sticks sometimes and i have to twist it back cause it wont spring back. Is that just the cable? Or the whole throttle?
Also, if i turn the throttle forward, it will make the spring work the opposite way. So it would accelerate by twisting forward. That's not normal is it?
I'm still learning about it so I'm sure there will be more dumb questions in the future too. Thanks for any help...

Is $1700 bad for a running xs650? I don't know I paid too much or not...

So the throttle cable is connected backwards. You need to remove the throttle assembly and connect it properly.

Wouldn't hurt to remove all the cables and run some cable lube or old oil through them.

What he said most likely. that backwards throttle would put a nasty bend on the cable too. Where are guys like you in my neighborhood?

What do you mean? Guys like who? Haha.
The throttle actually works the right way (twist back, accelerate) but it gets stuck and it will turn the wrong way which causes it to want to accelerate the wrong way. It's not tight, could that be why? Sorry if it sounds like a child is asking these questions. Like I said, first bike. All I have to compare it to is a yz125. Haha...

Remove the cable from the lever on the carb. See if that is binding. You can also remove the tank and re-route your cable.

I would definitely lube, though. I think my owners manual says something like every 1,250 miles. It likely needs to be done.

Ha. Ive been looking for a manual. I need one. If its supposed to be every 1200 mi, then it's only been done 5 times or so. According to the guy I bought it from it has less than 7k miles on it...

oil and working the cable. I could be kinked incorrectly routed, rusted, or have a broken strand somewhere. If that doesn't free it up it's time for a different cable. Guys who will pay $1,700 for a "running" XS650, that's what kind of guys!

Haha. Thanks for that. All it needs it powdercoating, seat mounted and the throttle. Everything else is done. Live and learn I guess...

5027ca4f.jpg

Last edited:
you could have the grip pushed on the bar to far and be dragging on the end of the bar, other than that does the carbs butterflies snap closed with cables off?

I think its that actually. It seemed to do it everytime I tapped the grip in. Do I need
A new throttle? The starter and kill switch twists around too. I don't know if that tightens. Can anyone recommend a place to get parts online?

needs to set out a little, no problem, wrap a layer of black (plastic) tape around the bar to tighten the switch housing up

1st day asking questions on here got a lot of input and nobody has gotten pissed yet. Can't wait to get mine done. Thanks for all the help...

Back