OK xs Gurus...need some advice

cpj83

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to start a rebuild on this '75. Not doing anything too insane. Freshen up the innards, starter/tach delete, 2 into 1 intake and an ignition upgrade. Beyond that, this thing is butt ugly! At some point over the last 37 years it got painted with BBQ grill black. They sprayed over dirt, oil and everything else...terrible. Anyway, gotta get it looking better. I've got to get that paint off the head, jugs and cases. Now the million $$ question. What's the best way to do it?
Hot tank
Bead/soda blast
stripper and a wire brush (I hope not!):D
Thanks in advance for your input!

CJ

Attachments

• xs 001.JPG
    xs 001.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 75
  • xs 003.JPG
    xs 003.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 78
Don't hot tank/acid bath it - most places use caustic soda (it eats alloy). Get it bead or soda blasted & be done with it - you can then repaint it if you want.
You want a good bike that runs properly - don't get a 2-1 intake.

Soda Blast it, I and a bunch of guys on these boards have rocked the Harbor Freight Soda Blaster, it takes time and its a day job to do it right but, go pick one up and 2-3 50 pounds of soda and go to town... "outside!!" as my old lady would say haha.

If you search these boards there is alot of information on DIY stuff on the Soda Blasting.

I say paint remover, wire brush and finer and finer grades of wet sanding, then polish. It takes a day or so but it gets real shiny.
14530fe9.jpg

Back