1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Old Brown

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Team Junk, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Been working on infrastructure for the last couple of weeks. I've been working without pavement here for 35 years. Moving into the new building with a floor. Somewhat sealed up except for the door in the endwall .Hope to start making some progress on the 650 soon.
    2-24-20 vab .JPG 2-24-20 vab2.JPG

2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Floor???

You have a floor?

I kinda remember those...

Hightower-Ash98, Mailman, Jim and 2 others like this.
  3. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Well, it were a floor to us. It were just a gridwork over an open furnace.
    Open furnace eh? At least you had heat. Bloody luxury! All we had under our gridwork was an open sewer!
    Gridwork eh? We had to cling to the edges of our sewer with our fingernails - - -
    (memories of Monty Python)

4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Heh.... one of my favorites...

TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  5. Team Junk

About to wire up a test stand for the GN250 TCI box. Hoping to see some advance on the box. If it works it will wire into a stock wiring harness at the TCI box connection on the harness.
    View attachment 161197

Jim likes this.
  6. Team Junk

Plan B if the advance is no go then I will add a relay to switch between the idle and high speed pickups. The rpm sense can be as simple as the starter relay signaling the idle pickup, a button to push will kicking or a circuit to sense rpm .

This all assumes the whole thing not going up in smoke. The box will drive a coil between 3-5 ohms.

View attachment 161201

TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  7. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I've thought of the relay route also. Pretty sure that would work but lets hope you can get some advance out of it naturally.

8. Team Junk

Anyone know of a source for red/white wire to match up with the kill switch wiring?.

9. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Oh don’t worry about any of that.....use whatever you got, let the next guy figure it out! :laugh2:

Jim and Team Junk like this.
  10. Team Junk

Problem being I end up being that guy 6 months later when I try and figure out what the hell I've done.

Mailman, GLJ and Jim like this.
  11. Team Junk

Try to nail down some loose ends.
    I don't have a stock wiring TCI 80-83 harness. Is the plug on the harness for the TCI box male or female ?
    Anyone ever replaced the magnet in the rotor? Any idea how deep the magnet is?
    Trying to build a test bench for the misc ignition boxes that I have . Plan on a TCI pickup simulator (a disc with magnet chucked into a drill) so trying to get an idea of the size of the TCI rotor magnet.

Jim likes this.
  12. Jim

Here's an 80 TCI. The box has the male pins.

IMG_20200307_124745.jpg

Team Junk likes this.
  13. Team Junk

TCI rotor Simulator

Magnet Comparable in diameter to TCI magnet
    Magnet at ~40mm
    About the same diameter as the TCI rotor magnet.
    [​IMG]

GY6 Pickup
    [​IMG]

14. Team Junk

Result

GY6 DC CDI
    Banshee dual output CDI coil with BP6 NGK plugs

Good spark at both plugs.
    Need to fab a better rotor for extended tests but small magnet works fine.

Banshee coil $18
    GY6 dc cdi $10-$30

15. Jim

I like it. :D
    Any tests on the advance curve yet?

16. Team Junk

Me too.
    Have been afraid to spin the test jig very fast. Thought I saw a small amount of advance.

upload_2020-3-9_14-45-42.png

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  17. Jim

If you want to get more "real world," I'd be happy to send you a ring plate off a TCI rotor?

18. Team Junk

Please note that this is not a TCI It is a CDI with a dc - dc converter to charge the cap.
    On a tci bike the Red/White and Black ground + the stock TCI pickups are available on the tci box connector on the loom.A new black and orange wire to the banshee coil and make sure the red/white kill sw wire is not connected to the coil.

19. Jim

20. Team Junk

I thinking jb weld magnet to hole drilled in cutoff wheel with pickup mounted to guard .Goes to 12000 RPM upload_2020-3-9_15-4-30.png

Jim likes this.