Old Brown

That would be great if you've found a $29 TCI black box replacement but how would it hook up? The stock TCI unit has a 3rd pick-up wire, this one only has two.
prolly has a built in advance curve so you would pick black (common) and orange or gray which ever gets you closest to stock timing?
PS the Radians used TCI also, had two circuits for the 180 degree 4 cylinder, only need to use one. But haven't tried it...

The XS650 TCI box needed the second advanced pickup to switch to provide advance. The newer boxes in theory are smart enough to provide advance using the one pickup.
Once Old Brown is spinning again I have several igniter boxes wired up to try. I'm getting spark but have not spun it fast enough to confirm it's advancing.
I have high hopes for the duckster igniter box because it was designed by Hitachi around the the same time as the 650 TCI and it will wire easily into a TCI 650.
I have not found a picture of a duckster rotor to see how long the reluctor bump is. That I think has been the problem getting newer boxes to work with the stock 650 TCI pickup.

This TCI thing has become such a burr under my saddle. I'm determined to get this to work.

What I have on Old Brown is a 86 xj700 oem igniter box. Hooked to the non advanced pickup it fires at the F mark and runs well until about 3500 rpm with no sign of advance.

The GYT6 CDI I'm testing is putting out a good strong spark into a banshee dual output coil on my 650 TCI pickup simulator. Have not been able to spin the pickups fast enough to see advance yet. Would require replacing stock TCI coils with a banshee coil.

The duckster igniter is TCI so would wire up fine to the stock TCI coils.

Hoping to get into HF today for stuff to improve the pickup test stand.

Will know more soon.

This is next on the upgraded TCI Dyno

Duckster TCI

All these connections are on the TCI box connector on the harness.

There are 6 pin and 7 or more versions of the TCI .

Both will have these connections

Black Ground
R/W Power from kill switch
Orange Coil –
Pick up +
Pickup –
R/W Connected to coil+ in harness

Screen-Shot-2020-05-06-at-8.59.10-PM.png

Black Ground
R/W Power from kill switch
Orange Coil –
Pick up + retarded pickup
Pickup – common

Hey Jim, I need your help again. Working on TCI pickup simulator mk2.
I need the diameter of the TCI magnet. The distance out from the center of rotor.
And if possible the angle from the keyway to the magnet.

Thanks
Jack

Best guess on the keyway. Kinda hard to measure. If you need exact, I'll figure out a way. Guessin' I'm within 2-4°

rotor.png

TCI Dyno MK2 completed.
Simulates the TCI magnet pickup. Magnet JB welded in a hole in blade.
Wave form looks ok. A little ringing. Max RPM 5500 so if a box will advance we will see it.
Need a speed control from HF. Degree wheel in works. Waiting for JB Weld to cure.

Attachments

• TCI Dyno 2.jpg
    TCI Dyno 2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 127
First test runs of the pickup simulator.

Odd thing about the JB Weld. I think that it must have ground up magnets in it . It piled up and made a dome on both sides over the magnet. ??

Had to swap the disk around because the magnet was backward. The first pulse was negative.
HF speed control only cuts speed to ~50% Crap.

Baseline Run

Known working gyt DCCDI.

Good spark at cranking rpm.

No sign of advance.

Spark shuts off at 4900 RPM.
Advances 17 degrees when the pickup is reversed.

Research on net suggest cheapest boxes don’t have advance. May try one of the adjustable ones.

Paid $5.00 for it. DTBL

Have wired up the Duckster CDI box. The wiring diagrams suggest the box is a tci but the descriptions by Kawasaki say CDI. Working on a nondestructive test using light bulb.

The GN250 Box had some issue when I wired it to Old Brown. Will hook it to test stand and check if CDI not TCI.

magnetic bubble.jpg DSCN0018.JPG DSCN0023.JPG

bride .jpeg

Hooked up the GN250 box to the TCI sim. Confirmed it was TCI and not CDI.

Confirmed wiring by amp meter readings.

Spun up rotor and Yea we have spark.

Turn on timing light and speed up the rotor .

Whats this. There is advance. Quite a bit of it.

Power off rotor and watch spark advance roll back as rotor spins down.

Power up and watch as it advances as the rotor speeds up.

Very linear rotation of the mark as the rpm increased.

That's where I left things.

Next

measure amount of advance.

Reverse pickups See what changes

Measure power usage.

Wire to Old Brown and see where low speed timing lines up.

Attachments

• DSCN0079.JPG
    DSCN0079.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN0078.JPG
    DSCN0078.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Found a spec for the gn250 20 degrees max advance so the box is working as designed.
Power draw topped out at 1 amp @12.4v so about 12watts at 5500 RPM.
Power draw is 0 when not rotating then goes up proportionally to rpm.
Doesn't seem to care about pickup polarity.

I really think this is the solution to the TCI replacement quest.
I just ordered 2 more for $22.00 from amazon.

Without me reading backwards :rolleyes:, are you using the Yamaha TCI pickup?

KN250 They made a lot of them for a long time so the clone TCI boxes are cheap.
250 cc = 20hp Matching state of tune for a 650 is 52hp so the box should keep up with the 650’s needs.

TCI box is cheap enough to keep a spare under the seat.
The electronics mount on the battery box, a much cooler and less vibration prone area vs. the end of the camshaft.
Crankshaft timed so no cam chain whipped timing variations.
Uses stock pickup ,rotor ,kill switch ,coils and wiring.

Non TCI bikes need a magnet added to the rotor and a pickup(single pole will work)

Very simple system.

Power from kill switch to coil + terminal and to TCI power connector. R/W
Ground to TCI Black
Coil – to orange on box
Pick up + and -

Without me reading backwards :rolleyes:, are you using the Yamaha TCI pickup?
No. Its a scooter pickup that ohms out at about the same as the stock 650 TCI pickup. Single pole.Waveforms on the scope match up well . On the TCI pickup it looks like you only need the retarded pickup. That will time the spark at the idle fire mark at 15 degrees. It will then advance on it's own 20 degrees to 35 Degrees BTDC.

Will hook it up to Old Browns TCI pickup and confirm the static timing is correct. It all looks very good.

Non TCI bikes need a magnet added to the rotor and a pickup(single pole will work)
Someone here modded a non TCI rotor to one with a magnet. I'll see if I can find it.

Back