1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Old Brown

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Team Junk, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not directly. All the pickups I have looked at have the mounting plate and mounting holes in the wrong places. Still looking for possable conversions of non TCI stator and rotors. The stock TCI pickup will work fine.

Jim likes this.
  2. Team Junk

I have it printed to pdf I think

Jim likes this.
  3. Team Junk

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.14.22 PM.png The plate hangs below the pickup face. All the pickups I've found so far look like this. I'm thinking a hall effect sensor instead.

4. Team Junk

Jim. Were you able to view the video ?

Jim likes this.
  5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah. Advance looked good... nice and smooth.

Team Junk likes this.
  6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Team Junk likes this.
  7. Team Junk

My thinking also. That's what I did on the saw blade and other than the strange hump over the magnet it has worked great. I'm thinking epoxy will be involved in mounting a aftermarket pickup coil also. Got my eye on a Honda clone pickup for $12.00 on amazon

Jim likes this.
  8. Team Junk

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.59.03 PM.png

With a L bracket to mount to stator housing. 350 ohm coil should work.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Jim likes this.
  9. Jim

When you get that pickup, give us some dimensions. I'm thinkin' of using the SG as a test case.

10. Team Junk

I was going to check a couple of the key dims on the stator housing.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 11.00.52 PM.png the ears on this one could be bent to mount to the housing.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  11. Team Junk

It's for a Yamaha 125 street 2 stroke sold in SE Asia. The made lots of them. I like using parts that they made a lot of.

12. Jim

You have one with the TCI pickup? If not I've got one on the shelf I could dimension...

gggGary and Team Junk like this.
  13. Team Junk

Replacing the steampunk controls on the Ignition and charging systems

Pre 1980 XS

Honda clone coil and wires
    TCI Box
    Rewound rotor with magnet added
    Refurbished Stator with pick up added and nylon screw mod.
    Solid state regulator
    Wiring

1980-83
    Rewind rotor
    Refirb stator
    TCI box
    wiring

14. Team Junk

Main question is how deep is it below stator housing to magnet on face of rotor. the rx pickup looks to be about 16mm deep. Any less clearance from magnet to stator housing will work. Excess could be taken up with washers

15. Jim

I'll get some dimensions tomorrow.

gggGary likes this.
  16. Team Junk

Great, So nice to finally having some success with this mess. I bought a 82 engine several years ago but had no TCI or wiring for one so this live or die for stock system. When I saw that timing mark sink when I switched off the rotor I had to question if I had really seen it or was just wishful thinking.
    Will be wiring into Old Brown and will turn it over with a impact driver to check static timing. That's the final frontier here to make sure at cranking speed that the spark lines up with the timing marks. The other boxes have so I'm hopeful that will be the case here. I know it's close from the angles on the simulator.

17. Team Junk

Should work on a pma also. Drill for 1/4 mag on outside of rotor and mount pickup like a banshee.

18. Team Junk

This would be a good conversion pickup for non TCI stator housing . XJ700 85-86
    Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 8.40.35 AM.png