Old Brown

What I wanted to be when I grew up.
View attachment 192990
In Texas when I was growing up we had a high school pep rally Friday mornings first period. Could care less about HS football. About 20 of us used that as a hour long opportunity to rat race through the maze neighborhood streets around the school on our enduros..

This is the bike that I lusted for. Have talked about it to friends for years.

Now I end up with a 4 year newer model of it. Amazing good luck.
That is one pretty DT3, black looks so good on em.

I'm in for a DT forum/thread. Here's my 73. Kept it entirely original/unrestored except for putting new crank seals, chain/sprockets, rebuilding front forks/seals, installed regulator so 6v lights wouldn't fry, new points/condensor (that was fun), new tires, and repaired wiring. Gotta get a new "250" badge for the muffler, but just can't pay the going price. Runs strong and a ton of fun.

16232530670095662354865301914404.jpg

I'm in for a DT forum/thread. Here's my 73. Kept it entirely original/unrestored except for putting new crank seals, chain/sprockets, rebuilding front forks/seals, installed regulator so 6v lights wouldn't fry, new points/condensor (that was fun), new tires, and repaired wiring. Gotta get a new "250" badge for the muffler, but just can't pay the going price. Runs strong and a ton of fun.

View attachment 192997
Dang! Thats a good looking survivor for sure. Do you ride it on the street?

A relic. And a link to that MX360.
bucaroo 1.jpg

I got a lot more than I bargained for with this bike. One year only model and one of the last MX labeled models, I much prefer the MX label.

Kinda the missing link from the original MX enduros and the later YZ motorcross bikes.

CDI, steampunk mono shock and swing arm longer travel on both ends. Almost double the HP of the DT400.

This is going to be my Sunday morning ride around the hilltop bike.not going to be running a whole lot I want to try and keep it as original as possible

I don't really plan to do a whole lot to it other than trying to find a original tank

I will do the standard servicing on the carbs and reeds.

Paint the kick stand and a couple of other spots to preserve them.

Clean it and paint the head pipe and silencer just to protect them

Bend the brake pedal back out to where it can be used but I plan to try and leave it as original as possible

The good news is it almost has to have a CDI. A CDI known for not making a good spark at cranking speeds apparently

A relic. And a link to that MX360.
View attachment 192998

I got a lot more than I bargained for with this bike. One year only model and one of the last MX labeled models, I much prefer the MX label.

Kinda the missing link from the original MX enduros and the later YZ motorcross bikes.

CDI, steampunk mono shock and swing arm longer travel on both ends. Almost double the HP of the DT400.

This is going to be my Sunday morning ride around the hilltop bike.not going to be running a whole lot I want to try and keep it as original as possible

I don't really plan to do a whole lot to it other than trying to find a original tank

I will do the standard servicing on the carbs and reeds.

Paint the kick stand and a couple of other spots to preserve them.

Clean it and paint the head pipe and silencer just to protect them

Bend the brake pedal back out to where it can be used but I plan to try and leave it as original as possible

The good news is it almost has to have a CDI. A CDI known for not making a good spark at cranking speeds apparently
So its a full on 1976 MX400B? IMHO the MX400 tank is way sexier than the IT Plastic tank. In general the MX400 was one of the best looking open class racers ever made, and one of the most revolutionary MX'ers ever made. There is a company that will rebuild that Rube Goldberg shock. I'll see if I can dig up the info on em.

The DT400 was tuned for ultra torque. A VM28 carb pluged it up well to keep it somewhat tame.

They didn’t want to scare the crap out of people.

1975 DT 400
Bhp @ rpm 21 @ 5,600
Torque @ rpm 27 @ 5,000

The “Bat Train from Hell” model or as our auto columnist once described a Mercedes “The Stupid Fast Option”.

Proper VM38 carb and fat pipe and porting let some air into this beast .

1975 MX400
Bhp @ rpm 38.76 @ 8,000
Torque @ rpm 3.92 @ 7,000

And yes the tank sucks. I like plastic tanks but this thing is hideous. Not sure if it is a IT tank or a Clarke.

I'm just want to replace it with a stock one.

I know why it's there. This thing consumes so much fuel that I doubt it could make more than a couple of laps on the stock tank. The stock one is much prettier.
I'm leaving the side plates alone. Part of this bikes heritage.
Just want it to a good bones for restoration when it turns 60 or so.

1975 MX400B . I'm in awe.
Oh damn! You stole that thing.
And yes the tank sucks. I like plastic tanks but this thing is hideous. Not sure if it is a IT tank or a Clarke.

I'm just want to replace it with a stock one.

I know why it's there. This thing consumes so much fuel that I doubt it could make more than a couple of laps on the stock tank. The stock one is much prettier.
I'm leaving the side plates alone. Part of this bikes heritage.
Just want it to a good bones for restoration when it turns 60 or so.
Hopefully you have the same luck finding the tank as you did finding the bike, they can get stupid expensive.
And yeah they definitely didn't have much more fuel capacity than a single heats worth.
Agreed, nothing wrong with a race bike having the scars to reflect its hard fought battles.
I cant wait to see this thing back in fighting shape!
Knowing its a 75 MX400, Id be WAY more apprehensive about changing the silencer and reed cage. Id probably just leave well enough alone, and just repair what needs repairing.

It's funny how things work out.

The Muttley project .

Starting with a Kawasaki 250 engine (Run what you brung). Will get it up and running .

Even before I had the 400 I wanted room for a 350 or larger upgrade in the motor mounts.
So I end up with a MX400 motor to measure .Any of the 400 motors are perfect.

I’ll be on the lookout for a 400 engine to hot rod for Muttley.

Muttley with the “Bat Train from Hell” option looks pretty interesting.

Oh damn! You stole that thing.

The bike was advertised as a "Yamaha DT". I went expecting anything from a DT175 to what ever. When I loaded it onto the truck and took the picture I posted, I was real pleased to have snagged what I thought was a DT250 for a great deal. Shocked when I got it home .

RD400 365 Lbs.
Bhp @ rpm 44@7,000
Torque @ rpm 30 @ 6,500 8.2 lbs per HP

1975 MX400 235 lbs
Bhp @ rpm 38.76 @ 8,000
Torque @ rpm 28 @ 7,000 6 lbs per HP

That is one pretty DT3, black looks so good on em.

It's a 1971 RT1MX. The jug doesn't look big enough but it is a 360. The MX400, YZ400 , DT400, IT400 all descended from this puppy. There were a few of these in my extend neighborhood. Chased one around the neighborhood quite often on my engine swapped 90cc mini enduro..That black and red just does it for me kinda like the black and gold John Player Special F1 lotus car.

Back