Old Brown

I've been on the lookout for a good candidate for an offroad XS650 for while now. Basically a big ass DT clone.
Hi Rustie,
all you need to do is swap in a 38T rear sprocket, increase the ground clearance by 2 or 3 inches and make the bike weigh about 100 lbs less.
If magic actually worked you could do the weight reduction by lighting a bunch of money on fire and dancing round it.
As 'tis, you hafta spend that money on aftermarket lightweight parts.

I'm in for a DT forum/thread. Here's my 73. Kept it entirely original/unrestored except for putting new crank seals, chain/sprockets, rebuilding front forks/seals, installed regulator so 6v lights wouldn't fry, new points/condensor (that was fun), new tires, and repaired wiring. Gotta get a new "250" badge for the muffler, but just can't pay the going price. Runs strong and a ton of fun.

View attachment 192997
Gorgeous !!

My new MX400
upload_2021-6-14_7-32-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-14_7-31-2.png
    upload_2021-6-14_7-31-2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
Knowing its a 75 MX400, Id be WAY more apprehensive about changing the silencer and reed cage. Id probably just leave well enough alone, and just repair what needs repairing.

Still haven't tried starting the beast. When I get near it I hear Blue Oyster Cult "Godzilla" there goes Tokyo. I've kicked it and it is a bear.
The choke is the minuim setup for a VM carb

Not gonna start it until I can stop it. No sign of the black and white wire but do have a green and red wire with a bullet sticking out near the carb. There is more wiring than what the MX400 manual shows. I think a DT loom may have been added. The green/red should turn white after the rectifier and charge the battery.
So nice of the PO making it easy to test the output of the charging coil.
The enduro site has a thread on A/C output of the charging coil.

I have a 3 phase 5 wire regulator on the way . I think there is enough juice to charge a small 12V SLA battery and run 12v LED head and tail lights.
This light is bright and draws 18w @ 12v.
upload_2021-6-14_8-0-55.png

Back to working on Old Brown. I have acquired a TCI wiring loam that is from the same year as my engine. Have it spread out on my workbench removing the clutch relay etc. Hoping to solve my 5/14 inch headlight bucket space problem.
Have to say the fuse holder on top of the battery is a piece of crap. Anyone with this setup that has electrical mysteries should start right there.

I have run it for a few seconds on premix shot into the carb. It sounds strong. The choke won't stay on. Oddly enough I was just out in the barn (in the dark), looking for carbs that I could steal a choke from.

The MX pipe sounds awesome.

Hi Rustie,
all you need to do is swap in a 38T rear sprocket, increase the ground clearance by 2 or 3 inches and make the bike weigh about 100 lbs less.
If magic actually worked you could do the weight reduction by lighting a bunch of money on fire and dancing round it.
As 'tis, you hafta spend that money on aftermarket lightweight parts.
That right there is the shit of legends...

Now that the workshop project is winding down I'm getting back to Old Brown.
Three things that have stalled the project is the buck o' wires in the smaller headlight bucket, the clocks and the hand controls.

Spent yesterday evening and this morning scrounging, retrieving and rebuilding the controls.

By no means Mailman quality but happy the way things are going.

Attachments

• kaw controls.png
    kaw controls.png
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • old brown new controls.png
    old brown new controls.png
    1 MB · Views: 77
Found what I hope is a cheap rebuild kit for the round reservoir early front master cylinder.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091KFB9HT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi TJ,
that link says "currently unavailable".
Try another size?
I just about doubled my Heritage Special's front brake's stopping power by using an M/C with a smaller diameter piston.
Best to also use wire-braided brake hoses because the stock fabric-braided hoses are WAY past their "use before" date
and were way too bulgy even when they were new.

Back