Old Brown

It's Texas after all. I don't mind I-10 45 sucks but what'ca going to do. Will go I-20 out of Ft. Worth and come down 16. That's the easy part, Left on 16 then turn right into my driveway. My son is at A&M so I have made several day trips to College Station lately. May go back to Houston next week with the truck to look at a cheap xs400. Thinking the instruments would look good on old brown and would make a good rat rat bike for trips to Mini Mart and the the 15 miles to Kerrville

Had an XS400. 79 I think... red w/gold pinstripes. They're good little bikes... for just buzzing around town.

This one is pretty sad. From the pictures it looks pretty rusty. But I like the idea of a 9000 redline tach on old brown. Gives me something to aspire to.

It's going to be 65 in the morning. I sure wish I had something running to go ride. Well old brown will be running by fall so not so bad. Glad 2M got to enjoy it today.

I-10 near you? Shoot, Your just down the road from me.....And a state away...LOL.

I used to stay at a railroad themed hotel on the east side of Tucson back in the day. It was a long haul from there to where by buddy lived in Silver City.

87 Radian
DSCN0245.JPG

DSCN0247.JPG

DSCN0248.JPG

Well as par for the course, Fedex didn't show with my order of paint. It's funny, in 20 years they have not shown up on time with a package. When they shipped to my office they were pretty good because it was company delivery drivers. My house on the other hand is contract delivery out of San Antonio and they are always late especially when they claim my address doesn't exist and they send stuff back. USPS on the other hand is on time every time.
Glad I knew better than to prep the tank for paint until it was here. Bird in the hand etc.

Managed 1028 miles over 4 days. I-45 from Houston to Dallas was like a Nascar 2 laps to go restart. Getting to old for this crap.

... Fedex didn't show with my order...
... contract delivery out of San Antonio and they are always late...

... USPS on the other hand is on time every time...

Ditto.
I can't believe it. The FedEx drivers come *all* the way out here from San Antonio, and get lost. I even had one come all the way from Houston!?? Gotta be losing money.

The USPS guys are out of Kerrville, they know the area, and me, very well...

Finally found my set of new exhaust gaskets and got the new exhaust mounted. Bike looks much better. Got too hot to stay in the barn so haven't cranked it up yet .

For the time being I'm going to leave the ignition as is . I might add a switch between the the two pick ups and call it good for now.

I don't think it's worth pursuing getting any of the stock tci systems to work on the 650. With all the cheap Chinese ignition stuff available, it's not worth screwing around with old worn out electronics.

I grew up riding Yamaha enduros and always liked the magneto ignition on them . I have started to accumulate the parts for a pma-cdi system. When the LC 350's showed up at the track I wondered if the cdi setup would work on the 650. Looks like Hugh has it worked out. I really like the idea of the bike starting no matter what.

Finally found the new exhaust gaskets this morning and got the pipe installed. Interestingly one pipe is 2 in longer than the other. Bike started up just fine. It sounds good not very loud at all.

The paint came today. Nice setup Primer, color coat and a can of clear coat.The only problem is in big bold letters recommend temperature is 72 degrees . That’s early morning in mid September for me.

Tomorrow I tackle a job I’ve been dreading, installing new tires. Haven’t done that since my racing days. The tire thing sucks. The 16 inch back tire situation has always sucked. I’ve always run Dunlop K81’s and Dunlop has never made them in 16s. I used Chen Shin K81 clones in the back. Of course they quit making them. I bought a set of cheap Kendas figuring they will buy some time to get the kinks worked out. I hate to pull off the Chen Shin. It’s 30 years old but looks better than the Kenda.

I'm a night person. It's that early morning crap that gets me. That's why I was at the Daily Times for 20 years. They let me come in at 10:00 AM

Out here, 4:00am is peak activity for nocturnal varmints and critters.
Coon, possum, armored-dildos, skunks, wild hogs,
Cattle thieves, bike thieves, lovers lane attendants.

Stopped keeping score...

In my case people lacking fuel, coolant, oil and cell phone coverage. My favorite was about 20 years ago I was walking to the house from the barn at 2am and happened to glance to my right in a opening in the fence and see a teenager standing in the shadows . He took off running and I.m sure tore himself up pretty bad in the barb wire of my back fence. I went to the house to get a flash light. When I turned on the kitchen light I heard his buddy's fire up the car and take off.
I went back to where he had been standing and called the Sheriff's Office. Told them not to send a deputy as they were long gone. Told them he would be easy to identify because his pants would have a yellow stain on the front. He had left a puddle where he was standing. His friends looked for him for two days driving up and down the hi-way. There's 5000 acres of nothing but cedar break behind the house and once you get a couple of hundred yards int it's damn hard to find your way out . Damn the bad luck.

Back