Old Brown

... All I can say is there are some bad influences running around this site.

Here ya go.
aack.jpg

Feel better now???

Significant other ,are you planing on test riding it? Yes. Are you taking your helmet and boots. No. How long has it been since you have been on a motorcycle? It's a 125. I will be ok.
tt125.JPG

Killed some BBQ along the way.

Last edited:
Found it on facebook marketplace. True end of the roader. 6 miles on paved county rd and the 3 on rough calice. Last gate on the road. As I was looking over the bike I noticed something behind me. I turn around and there is a ram goat wanting some attention. House pet. The owner goes to start it, pauses sez he’ll be back in second. Comes back with a rag, stuffs it in the carb explaining the choke cable is broken. Kicks it with the rag in the carb and it fires right up. Who am to judge.

Left side cover has had some hill county mods including a leaky jb weld patch. Clutch is at it’s last bit adjustment. Pulls strong. Nice and light. First time I’ve been on knobbys in 30 years.

Has a battery and electric start. Uses a $20 agm battery. Hoping to make it street legal so I can ride it to Mini Mart 6 miles down the highway..

carport.JPG

Taking advantage of the outdoor work area I’ve created in the last couple of weeks. Started with a trip to HF to pick up a portable carport that they had on sale for $79.00. My brother in law just moved into his new house and mentioned he wanted to dig up and get rid of some stepping stones. I told him I would haul them away. I figured about 10-12. Went over there a couple of weeks ago to pick them up. There was enough there to almost fill the bed of the truck. There was enough there to build a pad under the carport 10x12. So nice to be up out of the dirt and rocks. Gives me room to drag stuff out I’ve been accumulating in the barn for 35 years to sort through. And a spot to scrub and polish.

Cleaned up more rear wheel hardware. Before and after

swingarm block bolts.JPG

Back wheel reinstalled. Nice to have a rolling chassis again.
Rear axle nut scars.JPG
Sometimes I think the inventor of vise grips should be tortured with his invention.

Is there a yamaha alternative from a later bike for the axle nut. I've not been able to find anything on partzilla.

I have this gripe lately. Larger diameter metric hardware is available at most of the hardware stores around me but hardly ever the right thread pitches. Like the 10mm bolts and nuts, available in 1.50 pitch almost everywhere but almost never, I mean never, in the 1.25 pitch. I don't think I've ever seen the 1.50 pitch on a bike. Who the hell is buying all of those 1.50 pitch bolts and nuts?

Gripe over, Scott

I was avoiding the Mike's part because from the photo it looks thinner than the yamaha part. Was hoping that there was a superseded part number. Surprised that yamaha would quit supplying a part used on so many bikes that are subject to abuse by vise grip or worse.

I'm using one from Mikes on my SG. I compared it to the original and dimensionaly it's identical.

Cool. Thanks Jim. I'm a little crazy about "God nuts" after having to replace the so called japanese grade 9 main spar bolts in the Grumman after the supplier was caught falsifying the test results. Think the shuttle was caught up in that mess if I remember correctly.

Personally, I think I'd be looking for a good used original. The chrome on most of Mike's stuff isn't very good.

Whoops. Forgot to post the link.
https://houston.craigslist.org/clt/d/santa-fe-oil-can/7002491457.html

I think I need this. Wish I would of grabbed one of the Suzuki wankels . They were always over priced.
Appears the oil is priced to match. Amazing the cardboard has held up. Anyone know where to buy a oil can tap. Haven't seen any of mine in years.

Last edited:
side stand.JPG
My only sidestand. Thinking of looking for someone with a press to try and repair it. Figured I could put a coupe of proper sized nuts between the legs and squish. Any thoughts ?

tank emb.JPG

Next. I'm trying to remove the badge mounts . Will this leave holes in the side of the tank?

That's bent enough I'd prolly heat it for bending.
If you're gonna bondo over the badge mounts, there's no need to remove them. A few taps with a ball peen hammer and they're plenty recessed for filling.

Have been doing some rough measurements ot the front end in comparison to my 78. Wheel base 1.5 inches longer. It's hard to compare the axle to headstock. Looks like 1 3/4 inches longer. I still have an inch or so that I can slide the tubes up in the trees before the tops get intrusive. A little higher stance will probably help keep the 2 into 1's from scraping. I do like the look. front end.JPG

JB Weld will work... prolly falls into the range of serious overkill... but it'll work. :sneaky:
I've done a few tanks... and undone many more. Bondo is well up to the task and a fair bit easier on the wallet. It's also much easier to work and feather out than JB.

Back