Old head and I’m new to motorcycles

Mrtedsgarage

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to clean this up or is it junk? I have it soaking in diesel right now, thoughts?
9669650B-A898-47E6-9873-86F5043127AB.jpeg

I use plain old paint stripper to remove built up carbon from heads and piston tops. It literally melts it away but may take several applications and some patience (waiting time). What it doesn't remove will usually be softened enough to easily scrape off. I follow the stripping with some chrome cleaner.

Welcome to the forum!!
Looks like an exhaust valve is rusted open. Something like a dedicated penetrating oil... I like PB Blaster.... to loosen that valve is where I'd start. Then like DE says... a wire brush on a drill. Have a good look at that guide and seat for pitting and go from there.

I take the valves out of course. Marking which ones goes where. The springs hardware and all. Clean the best I can with brake cleaner. Then I glass bead blast. Everything. The whole head. Clean well. I just use hot soapy water with a brush. Clean again. Clean again... Haha. Check spring tolerance. New seals. Lap valves. Leak test.

Edit: if your head looks this bad, better take the valve cover apart. Remove rockers and clean oil passage ways. Like everything, there's a mod on here for the rocker arms. I went ahead and bought aluminum rocker caps to replace the old. Hard to remove the old caps without visible damage.

Last edited:
Back