On the road again at 40.............the bike that is..........PART DEUX

You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone!

And now in my head I can hear - Na na na na na na na na.

Well, I guess there's no turning back now.......eh?

IMG_20180921_160702.jpg

Well, I guess there's no turning back now.......eh?

View attachment 126148

Oooh......you have my interest peaked! Are you gonna rattle can them? What about decals, are you going original or a little different?
I bought a set of old side covers that I intend to refinish , so this is of great interest to me.

Whoooo boy Bob, That's a whole bunch of answers....lol. OK.

I went to my auto body supplier / paint mixer supplier for a consult today to pick the paint colour so that I could get started stripping and prepping.
The original Yamaha 'Star Black' paint has a widely dispersed irregular sized metal flake.

IMG_20180921_175722.jpg

They said if they could even match that they didn't know how I could lay that down. Certainly couldn't be done in rattle cans so I'd have to pull out the HVLP guns.

I told them I wasn't concerned about an exact match because as we know Mama Yama never released the paint formulas. I just wanted a nice black metal flake, maybe with a bit of gold in it to compliment the decals colour.

She suggested `Ford Tuxedo Black Metallic` and said a lot of guys love it on bikes because in the sun it really pops, sparkles and dazzles.
I like pop, sparkle and dazzle!

As it turns out this paint colour can be mixed in rattle cans so I'll go that route rather than pull out the guns. I could get it at Canadian Tire in rattle cans but that would be the original formula. The `Tuxedo Black` has a few different metal flake colours in it. She said she tweaks the formula all the time depending on the application and surrounding colours. So, she is going to cut back on the blue metal flake in the original formula and add more gold to compliment the gold decals.
I already have the reproduction original decal kit. Turns out Diablo Cycle is in my town and they did these up for me at no cost as a thank you for providing them with the original artwork, which is their standard operating procedure. Same thing they did with the handlebar switch decals. They also sell the tank badges so I will buy and replace those rather than having to go through the gymnastics of painting gold letters on black background badges.

yam2_78_xs650_set.jpg

pi_20551.jpeg

Here are some pics of the Standard `Ford Tuxedo Black Metallic` formula but as I mentioned she will mix in a little more gold on mine.

dsc_0014.jpg

On this Harley tank it is the base colour.

Harley.jpg

Soooo, that's the plan. Stripping, sanding and fingers crossed.

Oh man, I like that plan! Black Betty might just wind up stealing the spotlight from your other bikes! I had a BMW R100/7 that I had repainted, I forget the name of the color, but it was a black with gold metallic and gold stripes, it was absolutely stunning in the sunlight!
I wish you the best of all possible luck with your paint job, I can’t wait to see it!

I can tell you from experience, those tank badges are very hard to find. They are left- and right-handed, and it took me years to find a N.O.S. right one for my bike. I don't know exactly what the difference is between a right and left side badge, but they are listed as different part numbers so there must be something.

Great investigative work on the paint, Robin !

I will be watching closely; coincidentally, I am about to launch into repainting Jimi, my '80 winter rat whose black/speckled paint got damaged while trailering the bike this summer (as you know well).

This morning I pulled out my tank holder, which is a slab of 2 x 10 with an XS650 battery glued onto it with Shoo-Goo.

001.JPG

The battery fits snug into the tank tunnel, allowing the tank to be held or suspended above the board.
You can see remnants of the maroon color on the battery which I used to paint my '76.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Unfortunately, I will be losing the Jimi decal, and I can't find another just like it. :(

005.JPG

Good luck on your paint job !

I can tell you from experience, those tank badges are very hard to find. They are left- and right-handed, and it took me years to find a N.O.S. right one for my bike. I don't know exactly what the difference is between a right and left side badge, but they are listed as different part numbers so there must be something.

Thanks for the heads up on that 5twins. I hadn't realized that. Diablo indicate that the badges replace both the:
6 EMBLEM 1 Not Available
2F0-24161-10-00 Unavailable
7 EMBLEM 2 Not Available
2F0-24162-10-00 Unavailable

I will take my original badges in and do some comparisons and report what I find.

Thanks Dude and the same good luck wishes back atcha for your paint job. Will look forward to the reincarnated JImi.

Thanks for the tip on the tank holder. Was going to rig sumthin' up but I just might have an old battery........somewhere!!!!!!

Don't watch too closely, or, make lots of popcorn, I'm pretty busy with work right now so this will be a hit and miss long drawn out process.
Hoping I can at least get all the prep and priming done this fall and likely will have to wait till spring to shoot the finish, and clear coat.
We're running out of nice temps to work in so I'll have to do one piece at a time so I'm not allowing a lot of flash rust.

Just got in from a nice FALL!!! ride with a neighbour. Someone flipped the weather switch from summer to fall.
Yesterday was 96.8° F with the humidex, today was 50° F when I left this morning.
Liner in my leather jacket, hoodie under and insulated fall riding gloves. Man, quite the change in 24 hrs.

They look the same to me too but if you look at the backs, you will find one marked "2FO-L", the other "2FO-R". My N.O.S. replacement came in a flat package and didn't seem to be "pre-bent" or formed. It just sucked in tight to the tank when I put the mounting screws in.

These old ones I have are 2M0-L and R. Not sure if age hardened them, but they are rigid. I just now noticed that as well as the decreasing radius front to rear, the vertical radius gets tighter and the angle of the radius changes towards the front.... It's very noticeable holding it in your hand... not so much in a pic.

IMG_20180922_150437.jpg

Huh, that's right Jim. Well son of gun, lets pull out the badges and see.
Lol, while I was looking at them and getting some pics, 5twins posted what I had just noticed regarding the markings on the rear.

Pic of right badge on right side...
IMG_20180922_155900.jpg

Pic of left badge on right side....
IMG_20180922_155931.jpg

Pic of rear markings....
IMG_20180922_160001.jpg

As I was typing this speedy Jimzalez posted his last pic so I attached the left badge on the right side with the mounting screws and it flattened out not too bad except for the bit of a gap at the front.

They are somewhat flexible but I'm also wondering if they are in fact age hardened.
Maybe the replacements are in fact more pliable and will conform to the tank shape when installed. I will update when I get a chance to look at new badges.

Left badge mounted on right side.....
IMG_20180922_161844.jpg

"...we don't need no stinking badges..." (somebody had to say it.) :shrug: Nobody (except maybe a few hard-core purists on this forum - and you know who you are...) is going to "ding" you if your "Tuxedo Black" isn't OEM. Forty years is too many years & too many beers to get nit-picky. :wink2: Dude, you gotta keep "JImi", even if it's a different picture. After all, he didn't have the same picture on subsequent albums, did he? And, is that a sewing machine base you're painting on? :offtopic: Sorry. Spray-bomb works, as long as you do the proper prep-work. I've seen amazing stuff, and I know it'll be awesome! :rock:

Last edited:
Back