On the road again at 40.............the bike that is..........PART DEUX

Lol, thanks Jim you're too kind. Ya, I didn't know how it would turn out but ok for a chain guard.

I love this VHT paint. Builds nice, almost like a gloss powder coat. Gotta love rattle cans, no gun cleaning involved!

View attachment 116486
Looks great, Robin.
That is the paint I used back in 2014 for the frame and bits for my '76.
It has held up very well and seems to be quite chip-resistant.
The acid-etching primer probably helped with that.

76xs650 closeup.jpg

Thanks Dude!
And thanks for the actual road test use report.

Yes, did a quick parking lot meet with 'Midnight Maximum Pete', the Canadian parts smuggler who handed me off 'The Package'.

IMG_20180703_172008.jpg

He has kindly donated these to my project.
Good timing, mine are leaking, and after the all the time it took to clean this engine, THAT won't be tolerated.

Thanks Pete and Gary!

Just read the whole thread Robin, very impressed. Learned lots from everyone and like you I have managed to get parts that looked too far gone back looking good. Not as good as you've got them looking though and I've got a range of electric polishers, You've done it by hand. Wow.

Thank you Lindsay. Not entirely by hand though.

As you saw, I do have those old electric motor polishing rigs set up for small parts. For engine cases, forks etc. after I hand sanded I used a number of different cloth wheels/bar combo's in a cordless drill.

Here's a link to my profile page, click on albums and I put up some pics of different parts that I polished along with notes on my finishing schedules.

http://www.xs650.com/members/robinc.25648/

Cleaning up and polishing these bits has been a learning process for me but one that I've enjoyed.
Good luck with your project!

Wow, you certainly do lots of sanding steps, lol. I used to sand more before I discovered the Roloc discs, but still mostly just 320 and 400, then on to the black buffing compound. Now I do most of the clean-up with the Roloc discs, starting with a fine (blue) to remove heavy corrosion and finishing with a super fine (gray). If there are any deep scratches, gouges, or imperfections, they will get carefully worked out first with a medium (maroon) disc. Last step before buffing is some sanding with 400 wet. That will reveal any scratching I've missed and allow me to work that out before buffing.

I have the forks to do on the $200 Special eventually. I'll get some good pics illustrating just how nicely the Roloc discs can work. You probably noticed doing yours that Yamaha didn't do a very smooth finish on the backsides. You don't readily see it so they didn't bother. Medium and fine Roloc discs will smooth that out pronto. I also plan on removing all the casting ridges on the disc mount ears and at the bottom, like these .....

rrgl6HD.jpg

Bob a few days back you said:
And time for new posts on Black Betty’s progress!

OK, nother check mark on the list.

Here's where we started.....

IMG_20180724_161757.jpg

IMG_20180724_161831.jpg

That alternator cover gouge was pretty deep.

IMG_20180807_174348.jpg

So I did a quick clean with some 320 W/D soaked in water.

IMG_20180807_210535.jpg

Then got out the Roloc disks.

IMG_20180807_214138.jpg

Could have smoothed and blended a little better but, good enuff.

Well, that looks a little better for now.

IMG_20180809_171135.jpg

IMG_20180809_171158.jpg

Robin, I’m interested in the Roloc discs you use. I’ve never used them and I know there is a lot of variety and types of heads. Also do you have an air powered angle grinder, or do you chuck them up in an electric drill. I’d be interested in getting set up, but it will have to be used with a drill. Thanks

Hey Bob, I used a 1 1/2" Roloc disk kit, twist lock style, Not this kit but you get the idea of the twist lock system. I picked it up at Princess auto. (Our mega mini version of Harbor Freight). Course, medium and fine disks. Need to do some Amazon and Ebay searching for more alternatives.
Disk size isn't really the critical factor and when I went back to buy more disks, they only stock 2" now, so have to buy a new kit. :mad:

I do have a few air grinders, straight and and angle to use with one of my compressors, but I just used a cordless drill in this case so you're good to go.

Back