Regarding the erratic idle, my idle was absolutely wild for a while due to intake air leaks. Butterfly shaft seals, a gasket under one of my enricheners and intake manifolds were my culprits.
Once I got the leaks stopped, my idle calmed down a bunch.

Ya thanks for that info Bob. Will check all those things. It's funny. At a stop idle speed slows, so turn it up, then after a few more stops have to turn it down. Was excited that it ran so smooth just had to get on er and ride a bit. Still have to spend some shop time going over these new to me carbs.

Carry a timing light with you, and when it acts up, .......shoot it...

OK 2M................locked and loaded!

IMG_20170518_150826.jpg

Hahaha, LMAO!

So, that's whut happens when the shadows git shorter, the canuk ice melts, and gets into the drinkin' water?

Yessir, you're obviously packin', AND wearing the gang colors.

Ignition - Be afraid, be very afraid...

A post for my Banggood brake line for Mailman after reading his post today about stainless brake line sources.

Bob initially I bought this line from XS650Direct, Canada's Mikes.

Braided Stainless Brake Hose ~ Front
29-6504.jpg

Stainless Steel Braided Brake Hose, One Piece Upper/Lower Hose (41" Long).
Ends rotate up to 1 full turn, D.O.T/TUV Approved.

Fits: 1977-84 XS650's
Part #29-6504
$44.95 CAD Ea

Well it does say fits 1977-1984, but it doesn't say fits well. It was waaaay toooo looooong for a stock 77D. I read how 5twins had hidden extra brake line length behind the headlight bucket, but this was so long that even with doing that the extra length would catch on the fork lock when turning the forks to the right.

Obviously not a good thing. I went to 2 different bike shops here in town and they quoted $80 to $100 to get a stainless line.

So this is the line I bought:
https://www.banggood.com/90cm-Braid...le-Motorbike-ATV-Pit-Bike-p-1048321.html?rmmd

5twins posted about these so thought for $8.28 CDA and free shipping, might as well give it a go.

As Mackels said, it's the real deal (so far). Not a lot of clicks on it yet obviously. But fit and finish are all that the XSDirect line is if not better.

Free shipping, might as well buy extras for future projects. You know you will have them.

Here is a pic of install,
IMG_20170519_153437.jpg

IIRC, I stole that clamp idea from gggGary. Thanks g's.

Ok, so finally found some time again to get back into Papa's Shop to try and sort out ol' Blue'.
As I was heading into PS a buddy called.

"Hey man, I have been reading the carb bible like you said, if I bring my carbs over can you help me?"

I figure well sure, why not. A chance to booger another set of carbs and this time BS34's. Never seen them up close and personal.

While I was anxious to get Blue sorted, helping a brother was more important, so, I clicked my heels 3 times and kept repeating, "it's only another day or two, it's only another day or two"

So the story, there's always a story:
One day last year this buddy was driving down the road and saw a 1980 XS650SG parked at the end of a driveway with a sign on it that said $100.
He stopped and it was for real. PO said it was seized and had been sitting for 24 years, but buddy bought it anyways and got it home. Then called me, "hey man I got a project can you have a look?"

Sure why not.

Well, as of last September it isn't seized anymore. Or if was, not by much. Penetrating oil in the top end and cylinders and it loosened up.

But when we got it going carbs were puking gas, so I said shut it down.

So, Papas Shop now became PS101. More open carb surgery.

In my role as Miyagi, I did not do. I turned pages, handed tools, made suggestions, and he did the work. He found the float valves were so gummed up they wouldn't move, no wonder they poured out gas.

There is also a potential bonus in this story. His PO threw in an engine in parts in three boxes. Buddy said you can have it if you want to put it back together. Hmmm, tempting, maybe someday. The last motor I tore down and rebuilt was a Tecumseh lawnmower motor in High School Auto Shop class and I'm not sure it ever ran again. But, maybe someday, although you could probably buy a working engine for less than you would pay for the parts to rebuild one. Still sounds like fun. We'll see.

Well, his carbs are cleaned out and set up, he will finish polishing and reassemble.

"it's only another day or two, it's only another day or two"

Last edited:
Last night my wife came out in the shop and said "show me what you've been doing"

She said..."Wow that's beautiful, I'm very proud of you for your dedication and commitment and very happy for you. Congratulations. Now show me your other one"

Little teary from that

Thanks for your help Robin, I went with the banggood brake line that you recommended. I appreciate you taking the time to take some pictures of it for me. It was so nice I bought it twice, and a bag of copper washers for 99 cents too! ( thanks again for the heads up on those, I wouldn't have even thought to look for them).

So now all I gotta do is wait. :whistle:

NP Bob, happy to help, no biggie,
Although I think it was Mackels who suggested to you the washers. Don't want to take credit where credit isn't due.
Again, no biggie though.
You're ready now for the next project............

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

reg 1.jpg

Well, well, well 2M, you sly fox you. Nicely played. A couple of well placed nudges in the right direction. You were right, but you knew that.
And I see Petes payin' ttention too.

My final pre-launch checklist this spring was:

1) Check points dwell
2) Check timing with light
3) Carbs - install new float valves, bowl gaskets
4) Finish tank / rebuild petcocks
5) Chain lube
6) Battery
7) Mirror
8) Tool kit

As previously mentioned point 3) sent me sideways so while waiting for new carbs to arrive I completed 4) - 8)
After servicing / lubing advance rod a couple of weeks ago I did static time the bike and made notes to check with meter / light. Just never got to it.
Once new carbs were cleaned up, adjusted and installed she fired up so easy and idled so nice in a moment of weakness I just had to have a ride.

Putting aside points 1) and 2) for the moment.
Results were posted and 2M to the rescue!

Checked dwell....hmm....... that yellow meter is good........thanks 5twins
Note to self: when using your new fangled yellow meter: Put it on 4CLY, it's the one right next to 5CYL.

Checked timing with timing light......too advanced. Glad I only did some little in town test rides.

Now I know none of you gentlemen would make this rookie mistake. You would calm your enthusiasm until absolutely everything is done and checked off prior to that first ride, even if you have been waiting 9 years for it, no matter how good hearing that sound is again. But I'm going to play one of my excuse cards here and say, hey I'm a newbie, I got excited........lol.

14953819582491048267802.jpg

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

But, It's not like I haven't read on here more than once that carbs are often blamed for ignition problems. Shame on me......lol.

I was hoping that was the end of it, but is it ever that easy? Erratic idle at stop was indeed lessened, but still there.

Unfortunately 2M wasn't the only one right. A tip of the chapeau to Bob, (Mailman).

I cut a corner when cleaning my new carbs and that corner came back to bite me in the butt. I was hoping to avoid the 'quote' "troublesome" job
of having to replace throttle/butterfly shaft seals but I guess that's not in the carbs.......er......cards..

Looks like I have throttle/ butterfly shaft leaks as well as a starter circuit gasket leak. Fortunately when I placed my Mcmaster Carr order I included throttle shaft seals, again thank you 5twins, but no starter circuit gaskets in the bins, so parts ordered today.

Re: clutch. After cleaning and servicing worm gear and lubing clutch cable last fall, I set the clutch adjustment as per manual. Wasn't very happy with the results. Spent some time with my best buddy 'Search Button' and found out how 5twins and littlebill31 adjust their clutch. Works the treat. Thanks guys!
EDIT: Also a really good explanation and pics in DanielBlack’s thread - Stella - 1977D survivor back on the road - Pg. 33 posts #’s 657-663
http://www.xs650.com/threads/stella-1977d-survivor-back-on-the-road.47329/page-33

So, here we are, once again waiting on parts, wish I had something to polish.

"It's only another week or two, it's only another week or two."

However, in all seriousness, I cannot let this opportunity pass without personally thanking you 2M for your help here and for all you have contributed to this forum in the past and for all you continue to do.

A heartfelt and sincere Thank You!

Daniel-san out. Sayonara.

Daniel-san.jpg

Last edited:
Alright Robin! You're really zeroing in on the details now. You're going to have a sweet running old bike very soon now. Nice work!

Awesome work Robin! , not only can I not keep up with you. I already blew past item #1 on your pre flight check list.. "1. Check points dwell " yup, just gapped em over & over & again, lol just right. -RT :thumbsup:

Enjoy that Blue Gold ! :bike:

Thanks TM. I put 74Km's on her testing, so I'm happy. Got some city bugs in my teeth again. We're real close now. I Had forgotten how sweet that sound was. Not gonna run her anymore until she's sorted. Take care and good luck with your projects!

Thankyew, Daniel-son.

You are dispatching the issues very well.

Thank you 2M. Your vote of confidence means a lot to a rookie. I am having fun, stumbling forward and appear to be making progress. We're getting there, real close now me thinks. Thanks for having my back!

Be well.

Last edited:
Back