Yeah, you may have a tooth with a tiny nick out of it....

If so, you could try to dress it with a file and a whetstone - might quieten it down a bit. Otherwise, not much to worry about, IMO.

Last edited:
OK guys, lil' update.

Got her buttoned up and back on her feet yesterday. Not a lot of time to test ride but got out around the neighborhood for a few minutes.

No noise when I got home, but after a few minutes I fired her up again and there was some noise back, a different, lower pitch this time.
Was going to get out one of my guitar tuners and see what note she was playin'. Wasn't as constant though.

Getting ready to head out today and got a text from one of my sons,
'Dad, do you have any time this afternoon to help us get started on our bathroom renovation?' Dang it, ya.

So, had a bit of time and put about 50 highway miles on today.
I'm somewhat afraid of jinxing myself as Bob has mentioned in the past with 'premature ePOSTulation', but no noise when I got home.

I'll keep an ear on it but of course rain is forecast here for the next 3 days. Ah well, we need rain real bad. The farmers will be happy.
And......I did promise that when it was back together I'd hit the honey do list so, THAT's the priority over the next couple of days.
If it ain't honey do lists, it's kiddy do lists eh?

Couple of other comments:

I am still amazed at how smooth it's running. Wow what a difference.

IMG_20180622_123744.jpg
She just purrs like a kitten. Still taking it easy, not going over 3500 to 4000, but there's more in there.

Also, those EBC CSK014 stiffer clutch springs are a no-brainer, 'Must Do' upgrade. I can't believe how much smoother and solid the clutch action is.

Neutral is way easier to find, but I get a little of the reported clunk into 2nd either way occasionally, and think I have read about that here before.

Also now that hopefully this issue is put to bed I can get to some carb tuning. I haven't done any adjusting to them since the rebuild and probably need to check things over with them.
Still get some backfire from the right 'holed' pipe side.
Backed off and re-torqued the exhaust acorns, still there, so gave them a little more, still there. Plugs look a little rich as opposed to lean so maybe when I get my new pipes on in the next little bit they will help with this?

Will get some more miles on and hopefully I don't have to swap in that other clutch basket, and can then do the carbs and pipes.

Fingers crossed Bob. Can't spend ALL my time riding though. I think there's a couple other old girls in here, one especially, (newcomers don't really count), that is really feeling neglected.

Thanks Dude!

As mentioned, fingers crossed, but hopefully I'm good to go on this one and just cosmetic upgrades from here on out.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to BB. Can't wait to get that 78 done up so I have the same problem as you. 'Which one will I ride today?'

Starting with the choke blackens the plugs up real quick, and you may not be riding enough lately to burn them clean again. So, keep that in mind when doing plug checks. You may be seeing "false" rich readings.

Starting with the choke blackens the plugs up real quick, and you may not be riding enough lately to burn them clean again. So, keep that in mind when doing plug checks. You may be seeing "false" rich readings.

Ah, didn't know that 5twins. Thank you for that info. I will spend a bit of time with the carbs and then try some plug chops and see where we're at.

Rob, good to hear that the sound has changed.

Lemme see, tryin' to figure this out.

You reassembled the clutch with grease in the basket's bushing area, and now the sounds have lessened? If so, that was intended as a diagnostic, to check lubrication to that area.

If you disassemble it later, and the grease is gone, lubrication is probably ok, washed out the grease. If the grease is still there, consider that a lubrication problem exists...

I'll keep an ear on it 2M. After a good highway run yesterday, no noise, so who knows? The oil passages on the spacer shaft are clear, and I have verified by looking at pics taken when I was disassembling that the plates had lots of oil on them. I guess they would have to unless you were really low on oil.

More miles will tell.

Absolutely beautiful day here today so found some time for a little cruise. Put 120 miles on today.

New pipes, new rack, new seat cover and gggGary’s Super Duper valve cover o-rings installed. O-rings courtesy of Canadian parts smuggler extraordinaire, 'Midnight' Maximum Pete.

So, this one's done!!!!!!
Hahahahaha…...we all know better than that.

IMG_20180707_114832.jpg

A few road pics......

IMG_20180707_114845.jpg

IMG_20180707_120700.jpg

IMG_20180707_121030.jpg

IMG_20180707_131121.jpg

IMG_20180707_135421.jpg

The sun was so bright I couldn't see what I was taking a picture of on my phone, so I had to point, shoot and hope.......lol.

I love the new pipes but have to say I do miss the extra volume and the little throatier rumble but wow, what a difference in performance. I'll give those things up for this.
5twins, you nailed it awhile back when you said I would likely have trouble tuning with that holed pipe. Boy you were sure right, no way I could tune around that. My backfire on decel is gone! and it even seems to run a little smoother, pretty subtle though, and it was running great before so maybe that's just me.

Now 550 miles since last head retorque and 450 miles since last oil change. Boy that oil is sure still nice and clean.
So time for a retorque, oil change and new plugs.

I guess I'm not done………

Gotta say once again, thanks guys for all your help in making this happen!

Beautiful! Superb!
Here was a bike that was rotting away under your neighbors porch before you got it, that kind of life is exactly where a good many bikes have met their end. You did such a great job of rescuing that old girl. I’ll venture to say it hasn’t looked that nice in over 35 years! The fresh engine, new seat cover, pipes and luggage rack you have on there along with all the cleaning and polishing you’ve done have simply transformed that bike. Again , just really well done. Congratulations! We have all enjoyed following along on your journey, thanks for inviting us.
And the pics came out great by the way.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it.

I know I've said it before but 2 years ago when I decided to once again try to get this old girl back on the road I had no idea what adventures awaited.

I wouldn't have missed this trip for anything! And we got a couple more adventures yet to complete. :D

WOW !!
Robin, you've now got a sure bet for the 2019 calendar !
The seat came out perfect, and it adds a refined Standard-appearance touch to your bike.

Super photos, too! The Glencoe train station pic will make a sweet January 2019 cover.
Lets start the voting !

Congratulations !

Back