Wow, just checked in, thanks for doing all this Jim. This is very helpful. Tried to go to buddy's to check his spare engine as well, but couldn't track him down.

I'm just getting things apart and there is oil in the advance housing as well.

IMG_20180716_115951.jpg

Well, if it's both sides, that kinda shoots down the cam/bearing misalignment theory......
If I had to guess, I'd almost say you got some bad seals....

Unless maybe both bearings aren't fully seated Jim? I'll be there soon.

Well I'm not sure I did that Jim. I may well have messed up on this pushing that day due to time constraints, contrary to my better judgement.
I think I just tried to center the cam and bearings and can't recall at what point I installed the housings.

Quote from your Top End Build up job.

If you torque the head first, these covers probably won't seat properly and your cam and bearings won't be properly centered.

And that is why I now have this.

IMG_20180716_125215.jpg

IMG_20180716_125704.jpg

Paying for not following the instructions and that lack of judgement now.

OK... I can tell you from my recent build, those bearings will move relatively easy.
Here's what I'd do. Loosen all 8 nuts and 4 bolts for the rocker box. take the gaskets, o-rings and seals off the housings.... and tighten the housings down good and tight. If a bearing is pushed out, you'll "feel" it. Once those are tight, your cam and bearings will be centered, go ahead and snug up the rocker box, pull the housings..... seals, gaskets, torque.... you know....

OK Jim, thank you again. You've got the patience of Job to keep coaching this old hack. Your build thread was fine, this mess up is all on me.

Couple of pics that show I sure don't have 5mm, so your guys theories are correct.

IMG_20180716_140205.jpg

IMG_20180716_140518.jpg

I'll loosen the nuts and bolts, back off the cam chain adjuster as 5twins recommends and use the housing (this time) as you suggest to push in the bearings and centre the cam.

I'll never get these gaskets off and rather than rolling my own, I see Mikes/XSDirect sell these gaskets cheap enough so I'll put an order in for some stuff. I'll have it Wednesday.

Thanks again for everything buddy.

Yeah you do Robin. I measured from the bearing to the outside edge of the head, not the inset for the o-ring. Your's looks to be right at 5mm.

IMG_20180716_140205.jpg

More proof.....

IMG_20180716_140518.jpg

Top (green) arrow is polished ring from inner lip of seal..... the lip with the spring (garlock). Lower (red) arrow is ring from outer seal lip... the dust ring lip.
Those polished rings are just where they should be. Polish that up with green scotchbrite and put it back together.

Thank you for all of this and for that last confirmation.

Ya, that's what I figured Jim after your last couple of posts. Here's the pickle....lol

I have 2 other Yamaha OEM seals part# 93102-25090 that I ordered at the same time for spares, or for my other bike. So, do I take a chance there no good as well, or just add a couple of Mikes triple lip seals.....lol.

Thank you so much for all the time you've spent on this helping me today Jim. You can't know how much I appreciate it.

Thank you for all of this and for that last confirmation.

I have 2 other Yamaha OEM seals part# 93102-25090 that I ordered at the same time for spares, or for my other bike. So, do I take a chance there no good as well, or just add a couple of Mikes triple lip seals.....lol.
I'd do some research first.... OEM's should be 25 40 5 (I think) and should be made by ARS. Make sure that's what you have. Work 'em by hand and make sure they're still supple and not hard. Make sure the spring is still inside the inner lip.... if all that's good, I'd use 'em.

ROTFL Dude. Ok......I can do that!

I'll add a couple of Mikes seals to an order, then I won't need them......right? Haha.

OEM's should be 25 40 5 (I think) and should be made by ARS. Make sure that's what you have. Work 'em by hand and make sure they're still supple and not hard. Make sure the spring is still inside the inner lip.... if all that's good, I'd use 'em.

Have already checked through that Jim just to make sure that I did install the right seals. That is the number on them, ARS.
New ones are nice and supple, Garlock springs are present and accounted for.

Thanks again buddy!!!!!!

One more (remote) possibility... excessive wear/play in the cam bearings. Wiggle the ends by hand. You shouldn't feel any up or down... or fore and aft movement.

Back